4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 11:27 AM by 956702 RSS

JavaDB bundled in JDK 6

hi, it says that the JavaDB is included in JDK 6, when it is installed, there should be a JavaDB folder somewhere in the directories, but i cant find it on my PC,
      there is no JavaDB folder anywhere or even Program Files/Sun/JavaDB exists, is there a way to extract the JavaDB in the installation manually? or is it really included?
      i downloaded the lates version of JDK6u34 with Bundled Netbeans IDE, double clicked it , followed the installation process, nothing is there, i tried to uninstall-install it many times, but there seems no JavaDB embedded database that is being installed

Edited by: 953699 on Aug 20, 2012 7:21 AM

• 1. Re: JavaDB bundled in JDK 6
          rp0428
          >
          hi, it says that the JavaDB is included in JDK 6, when it is installed, there should be a JavaDB folder somewhere in the directories, but i cant find it on my PC,
          >
          What OS are you using? On Windows there should be a README.html file in the installation directory and it should say
          >
          Java DB
          This distribution bundles Java DB, Oracle' distribution of the Apache Derby pure Java database technology. Default installation locations are:
          Solaris: /opt/SUNWjavadb
          Linux: /opt/sun/javadb
          Windows: C:\Program Files\Sun\JavaDB
          For information on Java DB and Derby, including user and API documentation, the capabilities of Java DB and further resources, see the index.html file in the above directories.

Note that file based distributions of the JDK on Solaris and Linux include Java DB in the ${JAVA_HOME}/db directory.
          >
          I'm using jdk1.6.0_22 and, sure enough, if I look in
          >
          Windows: C:\Program Files\Sun\JavaDB
          >
          I find the JavaDB folder with it.
          • 2. Re: JavaDB bundled in JDK 6
            OS im using is, Windows 7 (64 bit), i really cant find anything, even on the start button's search bar, it cannot find a matching word like "Sun" or "JavaDB"
            • 3. Re: JavaDB bundled in JDK 6
              rp0428
              >
              OS im using is, Windows 7 (64 bit), i really cant find anything, even on the start button's search bar, it cannot find a matching word like "Sun" or "JavaDB"
              >
              I don't have 64 bit but I did reproduce your problem by downloading and installing the 32 bit version of the JDK with Netbeans. It does not appear to install JavaDB and during installation the user cannot specify which components get installed.

I then uninstalled that download and downloaded the 32 bit version of Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 34 from this page
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk6-downloads-1637591.html

That installation DID present installation options, including JavaDB and the standard install did install JavaDb to the C:\Program Files\Sun\JavaDB folder as the installation instructions say.

Suggest you download the Wnidows x64 version (not including NetBeans) from the page link above and do an install. You can uncheck everything except JavaDB and it should install just that component for you.
              • 4. Re: JavaDB bundled in JDK 6
                thank you very much for tracking down the causes. i understand somehow the problem now, I followed what you said, downloading the x64, no netbeans bundled, only the installer itself, run it, but i don't see any custom options or check box that asks if the JavaDB should be installed, as i carefully proceed with the Wizard dialog i come up with the part of the Wizard saying "Custom setup" but i only got three options , the "Development Tools", the "Source Code" and the "Public JRE", so i decided to proceed again, until the installation, waited, when it was done, i tried to check the /Sun/ folder, tried to search it, but still no JavaDB installed.

oh i would like to add, just now, i downloaded Jdk 7(just like the 6, only the installer itself), installed it after installing the JDK 6, there is still no JavaDB or SUN folder, but as i look carefully, there is a /db/ sub-folder on the jdk 7 folder, it includes all the necessary derby jar files, for derby, but i'm still hoping to know why can't i install the jdk 6 properly.

Edited by: 953699 on Aug 22, 2012 9:24 AM