This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 6:18 AM by Todd Little RSS

TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands

956087 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
PT Version: 8.50.21

I need to create a script to monitor the tuxedo queues. While executing the tmadin -r command, i am getting the above error.

With this i cannot run any command on tmdamin. Is there any other variables i need to set or config to run? I am using the same ID as the PS_HOME owner.

Please help.
  • 1. Re: TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands
    BobFinan - Oracle Journeyer
    Hi,
    Here is the definition of the -r command line option for tmadmin:
    -r
    The -r option instructs tmadmin to enter the bulletin board as a client instead of as the administrator; in other words, it requests read-only access. This option is useful if you want to leave the administrator slot unoccupied. Note: If you decide to use this option, however, be aware that you will not get all the information you get by running tmadmin without the -r option. Specifically, tmadmin -r does not report load values for servers running at remote sites.
    Only one tmadmin process can be the administrator at a time. When the -r option is specified by a user other than the Oracle Tuxedo administrator and security is turned on, the user is prompted for a password
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35855_01/tuxedo/docs12c/rfcm/rfcmd.html#wp1971834

The TMADMIN_CAT:119 is a warning message not an error. It is a reminder that the usage of the "-r" option restricts you to a subset of tmadmin commands. The "-r" option is used because only one "administrator" can be
    running tmadmin at a time. The script you wish to use should just be executing commands that do not require you to be the administrator(e.g. print commands).

If you execute something like "echo psr | tmadmin -r" from a UNIX command line shell it should print out. to stdout, the servers that are running.

If you still have questions, let us know: then tmadmin command/commands you want to execute, the release of Tuxedo you are using, and whether you are using MP or SHM configuration.

Regards,
    Bob Finan

Edited by: Bob Finan on Aug 22, 2012 10:46 AM
  • 2. Re: TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi,

Can I recommend that if you are going to be doing this sort of monitoring, you might want to consider using ipcs as it places the least amount of load on the system. If dealing with the output of ipcs is too difficult (to match up to Tuxedo servers, etc.), then consider using the Tuxedo MIB to query information. This eliminates the need to run tmadmin and should perform better than tmadmin as you won't have to parse the output. The results from the MIB call will be returned in an FML32 buffer. If you search this forum, you should be able to find other posts that describe the details of using the Tuxedo MIB and the .TMIB service. There is also information on doing this in the Tuxedo documentation.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
  • 3. Re: TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands
    956087 Newbie
    Thank you so much for the explanation, its' very helpful.
    As it turned out I am missing the "echo" that's why I cannot make it work correctly.
  • 4. Re: TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands
    956087 Newbie
    I shall check out the Tuxedo MIB as well. It might help us in our future monitoring.

Thank you guys :)
  • 5. Re: TMADMIN_CAT:199: WARN: Cannot become administrator.Limited set of commands
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi,

You might also want to look at TSAM (Tuxedo System and Application Monitor) as it can provide detailed monitoring information about your Tuxedo application.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points