This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2013 8:29 PM by frank.hampshire RSS

Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS

944614 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings,

Is it possible to call a web service directly from OPM (version 10.4) using Determinations Server or do we need BPM or BPEL to be involved. We are trying to transition to Weblogic 11g Fusion SOA environment using OPA for rules.

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS
    Davin Fifield Journeyer
    Determinations Server supports the concept of a "Custom Assess Service". This feature is designed to allow the retrieval of data from an external data source (web service, database, etc.) in between calls to the OPA Assess API. This requires custom coding.

The most common pattern is to call OPA from within a BPM or BPEL process (or directly, via a point-to-point integration).

Davin.
  • 2. Re: Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS
    944614 Explorer
    Good Morning Davin

Actually, my question is whether we can trigger another process from OPA. I noticed the Assess Service but also wondering whether the interview service can be used.

I realize this pattern and the one you described requires custom coding.

Thanks Much
  • 3. Re: Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS
    Davin Fifield Journeyer
    At the end of the interview, there are various ways you could have a custom data adapter trigger the next step of the process. One approach is to watch a database table that is updated by that data adapter, so that the next step of the process is then automatically initiated by the BPM tool.
  • 4. Re: Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS
    b49e585f-f06a-4da7-9868-b3c35e988e6b Newbie

Hi Davin,

I have managed to deployed the determinations-server.war with the rulebase to WLS. I am also able to create a web service proxy to send request to ODS and get the response returned. However, my doubt now is I do not know how to consume it in BPM. In my BPM process flow, I tried creating a web service call to ODS but it did not work, as in the flow runs and completed with success but there were no response returned from ODS due its complex type which couldn't be mapped directly to the data object type created in BPM.

I am wondering if there is any samples or tutorials available which will guide me in understanding this topic better. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

• 5. Re: Calling a Web Service from OPM ODS
    frank.hampshire Expert

You could try using the Specific assess service for BPM. The specific assess service will give you an XML schema named for the entitites, attributes and relationships in your rulebase.

Pro: it should be easier to map in a BPM process.

Con: this schema will change if you change the entitites, attributes and relationships in your rulebase.

See "Decide whether to use the generic or specific data model for batch processing" in Oracle Policy Automation Developer's Guide 

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points