This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 9:38 AM by ray007 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    867828 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    No, this is not particularly helpful. I'm using (or, trying to use) the instant client with other 64bit libraries, so I can't just switch to the 32 bit version.

Pushing 10 months now since the release of Lion, and well over a year since developer releases were made available.

It's remarkable that Apple's faster at releasing and entire OS than Oracle is at releasing a database driver.

Unreal. On the bright side, this helps confirm that our move away from Oracle databases is the right path.
  • 16. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    683351 Newbie
    I could live with Oracle stating that Lion would not be supported for the DB but a year of no news and no working 64-bit client is a bit ridiculous.

Edited by: jcotter on Jul 21, 2012 3:03 PM
  • 17. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    951922 Newbie
    Now on 10.8 - Instant Client 64bit still not working ... :-(
  • 18. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    landyman Newbie
    I suppose that since there are not millions of us requesting this, it is very unlikely that we will get anywhere.
  • 19. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    952485 Newbie
    It really makes me wonder how many developers have a need for a working Oracle client in Lion/Mountain Lion.
    Under 10.5, I've been using 10.2.0.4 server and client, relying especially on tools like sqlldr that are automatically invoked by our software.
    I then upgraded to 10.6, and started having problems with compiling/installing Oracle but I just copied the binaries from my 10.5 installation and kept on working until ORA-0600 errors made it impractical. So the server part moved to a VMWare Fusion VM but the client and my development environment was still running under OS X.
    Now I had to eventually upgrade to 10.7 because I rely on "Back to My Mac" which was working with MobileMe, and this was discontinued at the end of June. So I migrated to iCloud on 10.7, and now even sqlplus/sqlldr won't work, so even the client part is now in my VM, which means also my whole Eclipse environment too. There's not much left running in the Mac OS part anymore. If I continue this trend, my hardware will eventually be switched back to a PC.
    A very sad situation indeed...

Why can't we have at least the client tools running on Lion/Mountain Lion? Is that so much to ask?
  • 20. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    955469 Newbie
    I'm still impatiently waiting for a version of the 64-bit Oracle instantclient that works on OS X 10.[78]. Does anyone know if there's some official support channel or form through which we can all funnel our dissatisfaction? Complaining in this forum is obviously having no effect.
  • 21. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    956330 Newbie
    I started this thread 11 months ago and nothing has changed. If we could at least get some news!

If Oracle cannot fix it, they should open source it.

Anyone at Oracle monitoring this?

Bruno
  • 22. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    836561 Newbie
    I raised this with Oracle support directly. The response was

+Oracle 11g 11.2.0.x Instant Client is not yet released for Apple Mac OS X (Intel), it was originally planned for Second Quarter (April ~ June) 2012 but due later this year. Reference: Release Schedule of Current Database Releases [ID 742060.1]+
  • 23. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    787521 Newbie
    Oh well, finally deleted Instant Client, and with it, any intention of using a Mac to develop anything that connects to an Oracle database. Even if a usable update arrived later this year, with Apple on a 12 month cycle for OS updates, I can't spend half the year unable to connect to my database VM, or wasting further time determing the exact arcane instructions to get another few months out of Pro*C, or getting a Django stack working with Oracle behind.

This seems a perverse decision on Oracle's point - their level of support for OS X seems to be inversely proportional to how succesful the platform is with developers.
    It also makes it very difficult to evangelise for Oracle over postgres or mySql when you have to admit that you can't even connect to an Oracle database from your own machine.
  • 24. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    402570 Newbie
    I take it Oracle still doesn't care enough about OSX to support Lion or later. Are they going to fix this? I'd rather give up Oracle than my MacBook Pro Retina.
  • 25. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    952485 Newbie
    Me too I'm still trying to stick to the Mac, I upgraded from a dual core MBP to this shiny new Retina MBP so that I can allocate more than one core to the Windows 7 VM running Oracle and Eclipse and Tomcat. All I can say is wow. It's like having 2 full speed machines in one. One for all the development work in Windows and one for all the rest and both environments are finally running without feeling too much of the virtualisation pain. Previously I had an issue with the Ethernet bandwidth between the VM and my host environment but even that has improved and I get more than 400Mb/s where previously I had ~200Mb/s.
  • 26. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    957468 Newbie
    Hello guys,

Apple hardware is very powerful and applications have a really nice performance. Regretfully, there is a lot of problems in Mac OSX to support many software products very common in Windows, Linux or Unix environments especially if you are involve in developing enterprise applications.

Personally, I'm using a virtual machine. Using VMWare or Virtualbox in your Mac you will have practically all hardware performance with no lack of compatibility because you are running applications, software tools or drivers in another operating system.

Also, Oracle, IBM and many other enterprise products vendors are creating and testing drivers and tools for the most widespread operating systems(not for the coolest or easiest operating system of all). Still Mac OSX does not have more than the 10 % of all operating system market share, despite Tim Cook said in the iPhone5 presentation, that Mac computers where the best selling computers for the last three months in the United States.

I really love Apple products but as a software architect my priority is to solve problems first. My background from the enterprise is that you are dealing every day with a very heterogeneous mix of products from different vendors and you have to give solutions according to business needs and the money and time you have available.
  • 27. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    683351 Newbie
    jmaw,

I don't think that asking for an instant client is asking too much. We pay a premium to have Oracle and I expect premium support from them. If they are not going produce drivers then I have to look elsewhere to solve my problems.
  • 28. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    957468 Newbie
    100% agree with you. You should have what you pay for absolutely!
  • 29. Re: Instant client 64 bits broken on Mac Lion - Any hope?
    966023 Newbie
    "Still Mac OSX does not have more than the 10 % of all operating system market share"

This is a meaningless statistic. The consumer market has next to nothing in common with the developer market, so statistics about it are meaningless for the purposes of this issue. The important statistic is the percentage of developers who use OSX, and from what I understand, OSX's popularity among devs has been growing quite rapidly for several years, especially in the web development sphere (which is where I work).

Oracle's refusal to release drivers that work with Lion and Mountain Lion shows that Oracle does not care about OSX-based developers. That's a pretty good signal that we should stop caring about them.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points