8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 3:14 PM by Brian Jeffries-Oracle

No more than 50 records in a query result

Hello

I just update to 3.2 SQL Developer, but when I execute a query it show the first 50 records (as configured), but when I try to see the rest of records, I can't scroll down, only when I do a ctrl+End get all records and I can scroll down, but in some cases I don't need to see all records

I'm forgoting something in the configuration?
      I'm using JDK 1.7 is it a possible reason?
        • 1. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi,

Definitely. Staying with JDK 1.6.0_xx (where xx>=11) and avoiding any JDK 1.7.0 is the solution. Development has recently started researching this issue with 1.7.0. No resolution as yet.

Regards,
          Gary
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
            I am also seeing this issue. Is there a ticket number for this that we can track or is there just the forum?
            • 3. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
              Gary Graham-Oracle
              To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any bug logged, however one developer has volunteered to debug it. Perhaps he will see this thread and comment. The last I heard, the issue still reproduces using the latest jdk1.7.0_06 update. As far as development is concerned, the sooner this problem is pin-pointed and addressed, the better.

Fortunately, Java 6 still works fine. Here is the latest I can find on plans for how long Java 6 public updates will continue:
              https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/java_6_eol_h_h

-Gary
              • 4. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
                Aleksander Stopar
                Hi!

Gary, is there anything new about the keyboard navigation with JDK7 on linux?

When I'm working in the SQL Worksheet and want to navigate to connections tree, I type ALT+v (to get the View menu open) and then c (shortcut to "Connections"). But when I press the ALT+V besides opening the View menu, there appears a letter "v" in the SQL Worksheet, where the cursor is positioned - the same as if I pressed only "v". This is a source of numerous errors and bugs (unintentional "v"s everywhere) and a big time consumer. This doesn't happen with JDK 1.6.X

Tested on Fedora 14 64bit and Centos 6.3 64bit, both running Gnome 2 (not 3).

If this isn't sorted out before JDK6 becomes obsolete, SQL Developer will be unusable on Linux with JDK7.

Oh, and just another thing: is there a chance to make bookmarks and bookmark navigation available in SQL Worksheet besides PLSQL editor?

Kind regards
                Aleksander
                • 5. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
                  Brian Jeffries-Oracle
                  (Being the developer mentioned)

I have raised a bug for this:

Bug 14558049 - JAVA 7: NO MORE THAN FETCH-SIZE RECORDS IN GRID QUERY RESULT

When using Java 7, scrolling the grid with query results does not make more
                  rows appear. No matter what UI action you try (mouse wheel, scroll bar single
                  row next, scroll bar page next), only FETCH-SIZE rows are available.

This works fine with Java 6.

I am plugging away at this, but given that there is a simple work-around (use Java 6), bugs without a known work-around are/will be interrupting.

Brian Jeffries
                  SQL Developer Team
                  • 6. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
                    Gary Graham-Oracle
                    Hi Aleksander,

Thanks for reporting this, but next time please open a new thread for your topic rather than hijacking a thread only tangentially related. You may wish to do that anyway, then copy/paste this reply into it and mark it as answered.

Actually there have not been many Java 7 specific issues reported, not surprising since development actively discourages use of Java 7 and promotes use of Java 6. I logged a bug for the Alt-V issue:

Bug 14558074 - FORUM - ALT-V VIEW SHORT CUT KEY ALSO ADDS "V" TO WORKSHEET USING JAVA 7

As for the bookmarking capability, this is something SQL Developer picks up from JDeveloper 11.1.1. We logged an enhancement request for this against JDeveloper to include it for all code editors. It was implemented for their 11.1.2 code line, but SQL Developer has yet to re-base on 11.1.2. As a reference, the enhancement request logged against SQL Developer is:

Bug 8279309 - BOOKMARKS CREATED IN THE SQL WORKSHEET DO NOT ENABLE THE BOOKMARK MENU ITEMS

Regards,
                    Gary
                    • 7. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
                      Aleksander Stopar
                      Gary, thanx for the information, my apologies to the author of the thread. I extracted my questions and Gary's answers in their own threads.

Aleksander
                      • 8. Re: No more than 50 records in a query result
                        Brian Jeffries-Oracle
                        Bug 14558049 - JAVA 7: NO MORE THAN FETCH-SIZE RECORDS IN GRID QUERY RESULT
                        Fixed and will be available in next release

Brian Jeffries
                        SQL Developer Team