5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 4:24 PM by BradW RSS

JHeadstart developer licence

I'm a freelance developer.
      I need only one license.
      Why Oracle is forcing me to buy 3 JHeadstart developer license?
        • 1. Re: JHeadstart developer licence
          Steven Davelaar-Oracle
          You can use the free evaluation version to learn and play with JHeadstart.
          Your customers should buy the licenses, you cannot buy a license and then use that for all your customers.

Steven Davelaar,
          Jheadstart team.
          • 2. Re: JHeadstart developer licence
            Thanks for reply Steven,

I read JHeadstart licence terms on Oracle JHeadstart FAQ page.
            The evaluation version is a fully functional version.
            There is one restriction, the JHeadstart Application Generator can only generate 10 view objects.
            10 view object very limited for my project. I need unrestricted licence for only development no production usage.
            Customers will not pay for unfinished project.
            When I sold project every customer will have to pay license fees.

Regards,
            • 3. Re: JHeadstart developer licence
              Steven Davelaar-Oracle
              I am sorry, the only way to get unlimited version is to buy at least three licenses.

Steven Davelaar,
              JHeadstart Team.
              • 4. Re: JHeadstart developer licence
                Thank you Steven,

Oracle continues to lose money due to wrong licensing strategies.
                I will not recommend to my customers to invest in Oracle Systems.
                I will choose non-oracle platforms and non-oracle tools for new projects.

Regards,
                • 5. Re: JHeadstart developer licence
                  BradW
                  Blink!!! If this is for a small project, either the trial license will suffice or you can just use ADF. If it is for a large project, spending money can shell out for 3 licenses as it is a time SAVER. Doing quick math; less time + more value to client = project success. Thus, spending a bit of money (5K list) to deliver a product more quickly with a rich feature set makes sense to me. Plus, you might even get a break on the price if you actually went through the negotiation process (which is a bit painful from recent experience).

This sounds like you under bid a fixed price project and don't have the funds to buy the tools to do the job.

If that is the case, I don't see how this is Oracle's problem...

Best of luck

BradW