8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 5:22 AM by 665735 RSS

ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!

Hi All,

We have created text area in APEX where users can enter content manually or copy the content and paste data.
      The key word characters are wroking fine, but other than this is not accepting and it is concverting as reverse down question mark.
      We had analyzed all the ways and found that Character set is not supporting to accept these characters. But DBA team is not sure to replace this character set in backend.

With out changining the back end character set how we can achieve this.
      For reference i had place the content used by our team which is converting reverse question mark.

Key issues: This meeting was set up to discuss Shell’s policy on armed guards on ships, which has become a challenge in spot trading recent when ships have been nominated to Shell that already have armed guards on board. We wanted to better understand Shell’s policy itself, and discuss an issue with an existing trade with Vitol – as well as possible implications+
      and we have tried to insert the above synatx in a temp table as

INSERT INTO TEMP_ENG_NOTES(CLOB_ENG_NOTES)
      VALUES('Key issues: This meeting was set up to discuss Shell’s policy on armed guards on ships, which has become a challenge in spot trading recent when ships have been nominated to Shell that already have armed guards on board. We wanted to better understand Shell’s policy itself, and discuss an issue with an existing trade with Vitol – as well as possible implications for its participation in the .')

Here are the characetrs which is causing the problem.
      -
      Symbol
      “”
      {}

’
      –

(…)

•

§

Thanks,
      Anoo..

Edited by: Anoo on Aug 28, 2012 4:55 AM

Edited by: Anoo on Aug 28, 2012 4:56 AM
        • 1. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
          fac586
          >

After 854 posts still no APEX version, no DB version, no webserver info, no browser/version...?

>
          We have created text area in APEX where users can enter content manually or copy the content and paste data.
          The key word characters are wroking fine, but other than this is not accepting and it is concverting as reverse down question mark.
          We had analyzed all the ways and found that Character set is not supporting to accept these characters. But DBA team is not sure to replace this character set in backend.
          Why not? What do you pay DBAs for?

What character set?
          For reference i had place the content used by our team which is converting reverse question mark.

Key issues: This meeting was set up to discuss Shell’s policy on armed guards on ships, which has become a challenge in spot trading recent when ships have been nominated to Shell that already have armed guards on board. We wanted to better understand Shell’s policy itself, and discuss an issue with an existing trade with Vitol – as well as possible implications for its participation in the MOC process in general.
          That looks a lot like sensitive information that shouldn't be posted here...
          and we have tried to insert the above synatx in a temp table as

INSERT INTO TEMP_ENG_NOTES(CLOB_ENG_NOTES)
          VALUES('Key issues: This meeting was set up to discuss Shell’s policy on armed guards on ships, which has become a challenge in spot trading recent when ships have been nominated to Shell that already have armed guards on board. We wanted to better understand Shell’s policy itself, and discuss an issue with an existing trade with Vitol – as well as possible implications for its participation in the MOC process in general.')

Here are the characetrs which is causing the problem.
          -
          Symbol
          “”
          {}

’
          –

(…)

•

§
          Need further information regarding the character sets before suggesting anything.
          • 2. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
            Joel_C
            fac586 wrote:
            >

After 854 posts still no APEX version, no DB version, no webserver info, no browser/version...?
            Indeed:
            Handle: Anoo
            Status Level: Newbie
            Total Posts: 854
            Total Questions: 283 (179 unresolved)
            >

179 outstanding unresolved questions. a mind forever voyaging perhaps?

>>
            Why not? What do you pay DBAs for?

What character set?

Key issues: This meeting was set up to discuss Shell’s policy on armed guards on ships, which has become a challenge in spot trading recent when ships have been nominated to Shell that already have armed guards on board. We wanted to better understand Shell’s policy itself, and discuss an issue with an existing trade with Vitol – as well as possible implications for its participation in the MOC process in general.
            That looks a lot like sensitive information that shouldn't be posted here...
            Which we've both now quoted. :-) I wonder what the MOC process is?
            • 3. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
              Hi,

Please find the deatils below.
              -

1.Apex Version#3.0
              2.Database Version#10g (Toad)
              3.Browser Version#6 7 & Mozilla 5
              6.In my previous mail the messsage whcih i had given is having specail character for words Shell’s and Vitol –  both are getting replaced with deafult Ascii value as 191.
              Please let me know weather this information is sufficient or not!!

Thanks,
              Anoo..

Edited by: Anoo on Aug 28, 2012 4:15 AM
              • 4. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
                Hi,

I am totally confused what you are tring to say, but as i mentioned in my previous mail even though apex front application also not supporting sepecail characters
                whne i had try to give the message which i had posted and click on save button it is totally converting into reverse question mark.
                How we can we restrict in our front end application.

Thanks,
                Anoo..
                • 5. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
                  fac586
                  Anoo wrote:

I am totally confused what you are tring to say, but as i mentioned in my previous mail even though apex front application also not supporting sepecail characters
                  What does this mean? How is the APEX application "not supporting sepecail characters"?
                  • 6. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
                    What i mean to say that all the Process/Pages/Buttons/Items and so on we will be exists in database tables.
                    Since the character set is related to database unless we fix it may not resolve this issue as my understnding and hence in front end what you given the message with specail character is not supporting..

Thanks,
                    Anoo..
                    • 7. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
                      Kenny Hanberg
                      Has there been other character set problems on your apex environment that your team or dba fixed already, and is your current issue is the only left unresolvable?

/Kenny
                      • 8. Re: ASCII High Level Specail characters issue in APEX!!
                        Hi,

We have tried all teh ways for handling the differnt sets using Java script also but no luck and after much reasrsch we are sure that unless we chnage the character set it will not work. So we have left the option to decide DBA team.

If you have any other solution apart from character set please let us know!!

Thanks,
                        Anoo..