3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 7:11 AM by 744156 RSS

SQL Developer 3.2 crashes with java error when using OCI/Thick Driver

Pygator
      I just installed SQL Developer 3.2 on my linux desktop. SQL Developer crashes with a java error when I select a database from the object tree.

When I check Use OCI/Thick driver the application will crash when I navigate to the tree and open a database.
      The app does not crash then I have Use OCI/Thick driver unchecked.

Here are some details of my environment:
      Desktop OS: Fedora 17 Linux
      $ uname -a
      Linux 3.5.1-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 9 17:50:43 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Java:
      $ java -version
      java version "1.6.0_34"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_34-b04)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.9-b04, mixed mode)

Oracle instant client:
      $ sqlplus -V

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production

Here are the error messages:
      $ sqldeveloper

Oracle SQL Developer
      Copyright (c) 1997, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

#
      # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
      #
      # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f6de7157664, pid=3049, tid=140109371119360
      #
      # JRE version: 6.0_34-b04
      # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.9-b04 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
      # Problematic frame:
      # V [libjvm.so+0x516664] unsigned+0xd4
      #
      # An error report file with more information is saved as:
      # /tmp/hs_err_pid3049.log
      #
      # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
      # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
      #
      /opt/sqldeveloper/sqldeveloper/bin/../../ide/bin/launcher.sh: line 544: 3049 Aborted (core dumped) ${JAVA} "${APP_VM_OPTS[@]}" ${APP_ENV_VARS} -classpath ${APP_CLASSPATH} ${APP_MAIN_CLASS} "${APP_APP_OPTS[@]}"
        • 1. Re: SQL Developer 3.2 crashes with java error when using OCI/Thick Driver
          rp0428
          >
          When I check Use OCI/Thick driver the application will crash when I navigate to the tree and open a database.
          >
          Confirm that you installed the Instant Client Package - Basic and also the Instant Client Package -SQL*Plus. and that ALL Oracle client software is for x64 linux.
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linuxx86-64soft-092277.html

Have you tested connectivity using SQL*Plus? Test both SYS as SYSDBA and common users, e.g. SCOTT.
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer 3.2 crashes with java error when using OCI/Thick Driver
            Gary Graham-Oracle
            Hi Rick,

I also see a similar JVM crash using Windows 7/11.2.0.3 Instant Client/SQL Developer 64-bit with Use OCI/Thick driver checked. No doubt this will be an active area of investigation for development. Until a fix becomes available, either avoid OCI, go with a 32-bit environment, or revert to 3.1.

Regards,
            Gary
            SQL Developer Team
            • 3. Re: SQL Developer 3.2 crashes with java error when using OCI/Thick Driver
              I also had the problem of SQL Developer crashing when using OCI/Thick driver but I've managed to solve it. My configuration is:
              - Windows 64-bit
              - Java 64-bit (1.6.0.34)
              - SQL Developer 3.2.09 64-bit
              - OCI Instant client 11.2.0.3 64-bit (without installation).

The thing that solved the problem was copying two files, ojdbc5.jar and ojdbc6.jar, from Instant client installation folder to JAVA_HOME/lib/ext folder+.

After that, I haven't had a single crash or error message.

The same trick that solved the problem on 64-bit installation also solved the problem on another windows computer with 32-bit SQL Developer installation.