5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 10:34 AM by Philip Stoyanov-Oracle RSS

Hiding Relations in Subviews

scw2wi
      When I'm placing entities in a subview for a new ER-Diagram, all the relations are shown as expected.
      When I do not want to show all relations, I can mark one and delete it.
      The question about "Remove Object" or "Remove View" I'm answering with "Remove View".

1. Observation

If I have selected "Show Labels" for my diagram, the labels will not be removed.
      It is even not possible to remove those remaining labels manually.

2. Observation

If I want to show a removed relation again, how to achieve this?
      In Oracle Designer it was possible to select the hidden relations to be shown again.
      I could not find such a feature in DM.
      Even if I know the relation by name I found no way, how to display this again in my subview.

3. Observation

When "Show Labels" is selected, the default spacing between 2 relations is to small.
      Default spacing is 1 gridpoint but with labels 2 gridpoints would be minimum, 3 would be optimum.
      Unfortunately a manual placing gets lost in very many cases (while undo is only working in very view cases).

Can anybody reproduce these observations or provide a solution?

Walter
        • 1. Re: Hiding Relations in Subviews
          Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
          Hi Walter,

thanks for provided info. I logged buck for problems listed in your post. We also have enhancement request for hide/show relationships in subview.
          The question about "Remove Object" or "Remove View" I'm answering with "Remove View".
          It's not suppose to get that option that's a part of the bug and as consequence you get labels remaining. Labels should disappear if you save design and open it again.
          In Oracle Designer it was possible to select the hidden relations to be shown again.
          As I said ER is not implemented thus no support for that. As workaround you can remove entity from subview and add it again and relationships will appear again. Well that's not a solution but for small changes can be used.

Philip
          • 2. Re: Hiding Relations in Subviews
            scw2wi
            Hi Philip,

thanks for your feedback.

When the bug is solved, I will be able to hide relationships with labels.

The workaround for unhiding relationships is not really practical for me.
            Can you please add an enhancement request for a feature, that hidden relationships can be made visible again.
            I tried to drag and drop a relationship to a diagram, but this didn't work.

When I have many relationships, the stacking is not considering the visible labels.
            Without labels a stacking of 1 gridpoint is ok,
            with labels the stacking should be increased (at least 2 gridpoints but readability with 3 is better).

When I am draging an entity, I would expect, that the relationships are re-ordered only if autorouting is on,
            but the auto re-ordering also happens when autorouting is off.
            If this is not a bug, I would also ask for this as enhancement request.

Walter
            • 3. Re: Hiding Relations in Subviews
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
              Can you please add an enhancement request for a feature, that hidden relationships can be made visible again.
              As I wrote we have such enhancement request already logged and functionality will be available in 3.2.

Philip
              • 4. Re: Hiding Relations in Subviews
                scw2wi
                Thanks for your feedback,

so I will get a solution for Point 1 and 2.
                Can you also provide a solution for Point 3?

Since the space between 2 relations is to narrow when labels are shown,
                my only workaround is to drag each relation manually to get more space between the lines.

Unfortunately this lot of work is destroyed each time an entity is moved, and this might happen very often.
                Is there any setting where this unwanted "autolayout" can be switched off?

Walter
                • 5. Re: Hiding Relations in Subviews
                  Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
                  Walter,

you can make lines more fixed by introducing "intermediate" point (intermediate because there is always two ending points of each line). Then you'll find you have more control over line positioning and intermediate point can be used for better positioning of related label.

Philip