This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 12:58 AM by BluShadow RSS

Oracle support screen caching data in search box

713555 Pro
Currently Being Moderated
This caught me out so posting in case someone else sees it. In support (html version), go to service requests and in the search panel on the right put something in that might not return anything. Lets say "football". you get no returns.

Now sign out, log back in and that search term is still being used to filter your returns. Ive tested this cross browser, firefox and IE. Not sure what the development term is for this but would have thought that search term should clear when you leave that page.

Support came back to say this is expected behaviour. Not so sure I agree with this. search boxes should clear as you browse between pages, this should be standard UI screen behaviour for me.

Edited by: deebee_eh on Aug 8, 2012 9:16 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle support screen caching data in search box
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Well, it may be unusual, but as long as the search criteria is visible and can be edited/removed, then it's not really a bug or fault. If it was still applying the previous filter but not showing that criteria for you to edit, then I would have said that was a major fault, but I'm sure something like that would have been spotted earlier in the site's life. ;)

It could actually be seen as a benefit, for those who have done a search and need to get back to the same search results later on.
  • 2. Re: Oracle support screen caching data in search box
    713555 Pro
    BluShadow wrote:
    Well, it may be unusual, but as long as the search criteria is visible and can be edited/removed, then it's not really a bug or fault. If it was still applying the previous filter but not showing that criteria for you to edit, then I would have said that was a major fault, but I'm sure something like that would have been spotted earlier in the site's life. ;)

It could actually be seen as a benefit, for those who have done a search and need to get back to the same search results later on.
    I hear ya. I was trying to display it more a "feature" that people should be aware of.

"Return to search result" is always nice (google for example) but I dont think thats the point here. Its a change from the normal User interface navigational expectations. If I log out and log back in again, Im not expecting to have results cached. Cries of "where the hells my SRs gone" were heard. And then when we see the cache we say "why did they do that, thats not expected grrrr".

Im guessing someone inside thought it would be nice without anyone correcting them.
  • 3. Re: Oracle support screen caching data in search box
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    deebee_eh wrote:
    BluShadow wrote:

I hear ya. I was trying to display it more a "feature" that people should be aware of.

"Return to search result" is always nice (google for example) but I dont think thats the point here. Its a change from the normal User interface navigational expectations. If I log out and log back in again, Im not expecting to have results cached. Cries of "where the hells my SRs gone" were heard. And then when we see the cache we say "why did they do that, thats not expected grrrr".

Im guessing someone inside thought it would be nice without anyone correcting them.
    I know what you're saying, but the OTN forums are nothing to do with Oracle Support and visa versa (with the exception that Oracle own both). Yes, some people here will work in companies with paid for Oracle Support, but many won't, and those who do are more likely to be discussing things like that in the Oracle Support community.
  • 4. Re: Oracle support screen caching data in search box
    jgarry Guru
    I've been wondering if it is related to the page expired, click ok to continue refresh ability. In other words, remote sessions go away for various reasons, and the default is to kind of continue where it was left off. There seem to be various navigational dysfunctions related to these things. I'll wager there's some "agile programming" going on, slipstreaming out various "fixes" on a fast schedule, without really figuring out what parts of the session state to save and what to make fresh.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies - with bits of dirt in them.
  • 5. Re: Oracle support screen caching data in search box
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    jgarry wrote:
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies - with bits of dirt in them.
    That'll be the chocolate chips. ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points