3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 4:28 AM by - A - RSS

Change Graphics Mode

- A -
      Hi,

I am using OEL5.5 64 bit and want to disable graphical mode at OS level?

Please share relevant document and links.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Change Graphics Mode
          Catch-22
          You can edit /etc/iniitab and change "id:5:initdefault:" to id:3:initdefault:" and you will be using VGA text mode next time you restart the system.

To change to text mode without restarting type "init 3" and "startx" to startup the gnome desktop again.

To get a text console you can also type Ctrl-Alt-F6 and switch backup using Alt-F7.
          • 2. Re: Change Graphics Mode
            Billy~Verreynne
            If you want to disable it without rebooting, then (still doing as Dude recommended) also comment out the line that loads X. E.g.
            # Run xdm in runlevel 5
            # x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon  
            Then use the telinit q command to have the kernel reread the +/etc/inittab+ file. Any respawn daemons that no longer applies are automatically terminated - which means xdm will be shut down.

Keep in mind to uncomment the line after the 1st reboot in order for runlevel 5 to support X. Personally, I do not on servers as I refuse to have sysadmin run GUIs on servers in a cabinet in the computer room somewhere. If X is needed, they need to use VNC or some other remote frame buffer app that supports virtual X desktops.
            • 3. Re: Change Graphics Mode
              - A -
              Hi,
              Thanks for both of you.