This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 8:50 AM by user12869307 RSS

tuning help

user12869307 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

select * from v$version

BANNER
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE     10.2.0.4.0     Production
TNS for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Productio
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

above given is the version I work on. I have a requirement for which I dont have tables since it is in proposal state. But they have given approximate table sizes like below.
for example, table a,b,c,d has to be joined together to get a output(one or two columns from each tables or some aggregate function).
This result must be insrted into a new table 'E'.

Right now we have made a query like

insert into E(col1,col2,col3...)
select a.col1,
b.col2,
c.col3,
d.col4
from a,b,c,d
where a.col1 = b.col1
and b.col2 = c.col2
and c.col3 = d.col3
--- we can't check the performance of this too now since we do not have enough data.
One doubt in the above insert is, will the select query will be executed only once and all the rows will be inserted into table E? or it will be inserted and select parallely?
--- table a and b are having approximately 100 million records and c,d approximately 1.5 million records.
How can we approach this?

Can we follow a insert like above one. OR using a cursor and bulk collect will improve the performance?
If there are any other way also please suggest. Thanks for your help
  • 1. Re: tuning help
    00125 Explorer
    Hi,

For inserting millions of record u better try with cursor and bulk collect and forall
  • 2. Re: tuning help
    KeithJamieson Expert
    Whats stopping you creating 4 tables and populating them with 100 million rows or 1.5 million rows as appropriate and then testing the join.

The direct sql will perform much faster than bulk collect.
  • 3. Re: tuning help
    user12869307 Newbie
    we do not have proper data yet. since the project is in proposal state. based on our query writing skills with limited information we have to get confidence of client and get the project. then they will start providing the data when we can have whole tests. Thanks for your reply. for now I will make it as simple select
  • 4. Re: tuning help
    user12869307 Newbie
    One more help I asked is when we do

insert into target_table_name
    select * from source_table;

how will this query execute. select query once and then insert into the table
    OR select and insert parallely?
  • 5. Re: tuning help
    Manik Expert
    Definetely plain sql..you may also look for append hint in documentation for insertion.

Cheers,
    Manik
  • 6. Re: tuning help
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    user12869307 wrote:
    One more help I asked is when we do

insert into target_table_name
    select * from source_table;

how will this query execute. select query once and then insert into the table
    OR select and insert parallely?
    Theoretically speaking it can be viewed as a parellel processing. It certainly doesn't load all the data from the source query into memory before inserting it, if that's what you are thinking.
  • 7. Re: tuning help
    user12869307 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. actually a smalll correction two tables which I mentioned will increase by 100 millions every week. in what kind of scenario we can use bulk collect forall statements for inserting?
  • 8. Re: tuning help
    Stew Ashton Expert
    user12869307 wrote:
    --- we can't check the performance of this too now since we do not have enough data.
    You can generate data, lots of people do it all the time. Here is an example that will generate one million lines, but is configurable.
    DEFINE NUMROWSA = 1000
    define numrowsb = 1000

create table test_a (  key1,  vn1,  vn2,  vn3,  vd1,  nomenc,  vv1,  vv2,  vv3,  vv4) as
    with a as (select level lvl from dual connect by level <= &numrowsa)
    , b as (select level lvl from dual connect by level <= &numrowsb)
    select
    rownum
    , round(dbms_random.value(0, 99999999))
    , trunc(sysdate)
    , 'N' || mod(rownum,10)
    , rpad('vv', 70 + round(dbms_random.value(0, 20)), '*')
    , rpad('vv'||rownum, 70 + round(dbms_random.value(0, 20)), '*')
    , rpad('vv', 70 + round(dbms_random.value(0, 20)), '*')
    , rpad('vv', 56 + round(dbms_random.value(0, 32)), '*')
    from a,b;
    One doubt in the above insert is, will the select query will be executed only once and all the rows will be inserted into table E? or it will be inserted and select parallely?
    The whole statement, both the SELECT part and the INSERT part, will be done in one session. For parallel execution, you need to do "direct path insert" using the /*+ APPEND */ hint, plus you need to enable and use "parallel DML".

I would not do parallel on such a small data set. I might to direct path insert though.

Why create this intermediate table? Why not just query the base tables, eventually through a view?
  • 9. Re: tuning help
    KeithJamieson Expert
    Why do you think bulk collect is faster than direct sql?

You need to compare it.

Create a table with 1 million rows and insert into it using bulk collect and then insert into it using direct sql.

direct sql will be much faster.

You don't need real data for the test I suggested. You can make up the data as long as the appropriate columns are matched correctly.

If your tables are growing at 100 million rows per week, I think the partitioning option (additional license cost) is probably going to be essential.

Also in order to find out what your query is doing, use explain plan.

explain plan from <your sql statement>

select * from table(dbms_xplan())
  • 10. Re: tuning help
    Stew Ashton Expert
    user12869307 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. actually a smalll correction two tables which I mentioned will increase by 100 millions every week. in what kind of scenario we can use bulk collect forall statements for inserting?
    You would only do BULK COLLECT + FORALL if the input requires some processing before insertion, and this processing cannot be done in SQL.

Are you going to add to the existing table or recreate it from scratch every week?
  • 11. Re: tuning help
    user12869307 Newbie
    we will be adding to the existing table. we are not recreating our target table every week. thanks for your reply on using bulk_collect, forall.. to make clear, I am mentioning again four source tables joined and result inserted into one target table.

two sourcet table have 1.5 million records. two source tables increase by 100 million records every week.
  • 12. Re: tuning help
    KeithJamieson Expert
    Why are you inserting the result into a target table?

Why can't you just create a view?

so instead of
    insert into table e
    you say
    create view e as
    select a.col1,
    b.col2,
    c.col3,
    d.col4
    from a,b,c,d
    where a.col1 = b.col1
    and b.col2 = c.col2
    and c.col3 = d.col3;
    Edited by: Keith Jamieson on Sep 5, 2012 12:19 PM
  • 13. Re: tuning help
    GVR Journeyer
    It is hard to make any recommendations without knowing your requirements,It is always better to try with sample data. If you have to select only new data set then think about partitions and or sub partitions,this way you can select data from specific partition and or sub partition using dynamic sql.
  • 14. Re: tuning help
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    user12869307 wrote:
    we will be adding to the existing table. we are not recreating our target table every week. thanks for your reply on using bulk_collect, forall.. to make clear, I am mentioning again four source tables joined and result inserted into one target table.

two sourcet table have 1.5 million records. two source tables increase by 100 million records every week.
    Seriously, you're going to have 5.2 billion records per year inserted to these tables? Is this a large supermarket chain shopping transactions database?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points