This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 8:09 AM by NZK RSS

Oracle Data Modeler Installation guide

NZK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All

I downloaded SQL Data Modeler 3.1 and I unzipped it. Still there is a setting is to be done in the Registry, which I forgot. Please help me to resolve this issue.

OS - Win XP SP2

Thanks

Nazik
  • 1. Re: Oracle Data Modeler Installation guide
    David Last Expert
    Hi Nazik,

After unzipping it, you can start Data Modeler by double-clicking the file datamodeler.exe in folder datamodeler.

If you have downloaded the version that does not include a JRE, it will ask you for the location of the java.exe file of the Java 1.6 JRE you wish to use.

David
  • 2. Re: Oracle Data Modeler Installation guide
    NZK Newbie
    Dear David

Thank you for you response. I unzipped it and double clicked it. It gives an error message as 'This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found'

I remember once I added registry value and it solved this issue.

Nazik
  • 3. Re: Oracle Data Modeler Installation guide
    David Last Expert
    Hi,

I assume you downloaded the version of Data Modeler that does not include a JRE?

The Java JRE should normally contain a copy of msvcr71.dll in its folder jre\bin.
    If it's missing, you will probably find another copy in its folder jre\bin\new_plugin. You could try copying this to its jre\bin folder.

If you've still got a problem, you could download the version of Data Modeler that includes a JRE.

David
  • 4. Re: Oracle Data Modeler Installation guide
    NZK Newbie
    This is what I have to do...

Run regedit as the Administrator
    Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    Add a new Key to App Paths called sqldeveloper.exe
    Set the (Default) value to the full path to the executable (including the executable name).
    Create a new String value for sqldeveloper.exe called Path and set its value to the jre / bin folder in the SQLDeveloper files.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points