This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 6:51 AM by 980555 RSS

Oracle ODBC driver installation

925277 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys,

I recently installed full edition oracle client on my machine, and i can connect sucessfully to existing databases using the odbc datasource administator

I need to do same thing again on another windows box, this time windows 2008 server r2(rather than windows 7)

I was just wondering do i need to install the full client again, just to have the odbc datasoruce administator install the oracle driver, so it can sucessfully connect to
existing oracle database?
  • 1. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I was just wondering do i need to install the full client again, just to have the odbc datasoruce administator install the oracle driver, so it can sucessfully connect to
    existing oracle database?
    >
    No - you can use the Instant Client instead if you want.

See the instant Client download page
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html

You need the Instant Client Package (Basic or Lite) and the additional ODBC package as listed. There are other optional packages you might want such as the one for SQL*Plus.
  • 2. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    925277 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. The link you gave me doesnt say/show the client package for windows 2008 or any 64 bit download?
  • 3. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    The link you gave me doesnt say/show the client package for windows 2008 or any 64 bit download?
    >
    When you want help the burden is on YOU to provide information needed to help you.

There is nothing in your post about 64 bit. Just use the main download page or the OCI client
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html
  • 4. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    925277 Newbie
    Sorry for not providing enough information. I finally managed to download and extract the 64 bit version of the client instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0
    Now i am having issues installing it. I read the documentation. It only mentions changing my Path variable to where the client instant is installed
    I am really only inerested in having the ODBC Connector to have the correct oracle driver installed as explained earlier
    In the instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0, there is no setup file or install file

Any advice please?
  • 5. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    Any advice please?
    >
    Yes - follow the instructions and then download the ODBC package and follow those instructions.
  • 6. Re: Oracle ODBC driver installation
    980555 Newbie
    Which instructions ????

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points