This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 4:23 AM by linkin RSS

Postpone the consumption of a message

561557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Is there such a parameter or functionality or any way to specify that when you put a message in a queue, you want it not to be consumed before a certain period of time?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Postpone the consumption of a message
    nigeldeakin Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    gtriant wrote:

    Is there such a parameter or functionality or any way to specify that when you put a message in a queue, you want it not to be consumed before a certain period of time?
    Not in standard JMS.

    However some JMS providers (e.g. WebLogic) do offer this as a non-standard feature. Please see your product documentation to find out if such a feature exists for the JMS provider you are using. Note that applications which use such features will not be portable between different JMS providers.

    Nigel
  • 2. Re: Postpone the consumption of a message
    linkin Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    There is a provision to pass parameter at the time of sending the message to queue.
    You can do this by using JMS Message Selectors.
    [try this|http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/1.4/tutorial/doc/JMS4.html]
  • 3. Re: Postpone the consumption of a message
    nigeldeakin Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    linkin wrote:
    There is a provision to pass parameter at the time of sending the message to queue.
    You can do this by using JMS Message Selectors.
    [try this|http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/1.4/tutorial/doc/JMS4.html]
    You can't use message selectors to delay delivery of a message until a "certain period of time" has elapsed, which is what the original poster was asking for. If you think you can, please explain.

    Nigel
  • 4. Re: Postpone the consumption of a message
    linkin Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    nigeldeakin wrote:
    You can't use message selectors to delay delivery of a message until a "certain period of time" has elapsed, which is what the original poster was asking for. If you think you can, please explain.
    I accept. But I did not said this.
    gtriant wrote:
    Is there such a parameter or functionality or any way to specify that when you put a message in a queue
    I am just responding on this basis that you can pass parameter.

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points