This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 10:46 AM by Dude! RSS

uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?

960314 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm new to Oracle Linux and have installed OL 6.2 and booted in UEK kernel 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64.
I'm building the Qlogic FC driver qla2xxx against the UEK kernel using the spec file.
But the driver is built for kernel version 2.6.32-200.el6.x86_64.
This is because the macro %kernel_module_package in the spec file picks up information for 2.6.32-200.el6.x86_64 kernel.

Any idea if uek-rpm-config rpm is available similar to redhat-rpm-config so that the driver is built for the correct UEK kernel version.

Any other pointers on how to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    Dude! Guru
    Why bother? the UEK and UEK2 kernel, both already supply the qla2xxx driver.

<pre>
    modinfo qla2xxx
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.39-200.29.2.el6uek.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko
    firmware: ql2500_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2400_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2322_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2300_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2200_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2100_fw.bin
    version: 8.04.00.03.39.0-k
    license: GPL
    description: QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver
    author: QLogic Corporation
    </pre>

<pre>
    # modinfo qla2xxx
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla2xxx.ko
    firmware: ql2500_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2400_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2322_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2300_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2200_fw.bin
    firmware: ql2100_fw.bin
    version: 8.04.00.04.06.3-k
    license: GPL
    description: QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Driver
    author: QLogic Corporation
    </pre>
  • 2. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    960314 Newbie
    That is fine.
    But I need to update the driver to support new hardware until which I would not be able to
    boot from the SAN disk.

Any pointers for uek-rpm-config rpm for UEK kernel?
  • 3. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    Dude! Guru
    From what I understand Oracle Linux provides the redhat-rpm-config package, which contains the kmodtool that you can use to build your own rpm package. The kernel version is specified at the rpmbuild command line. However, it won't make a kernel module that requires a specific kernel version compatible with the UEK kernel. I have not seen a uek-rpm-config package, and also wonder why you would need it. From what I can gather, 8.04 is even a newer version than what qlogic provides for public download (8.03). Are you sure your problem is the driver version?
  • 4. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    960314 Newbie
    I'm building the qla2xxx driver for 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64 kernel using the spec file.
    The %kernel_module_package macro picks up kernel info for 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 kernel.
    So here the qla2xxx actually get built for 2.6.32-220 kernel and not 2.6.32-300 kernel.

I don't want to tweak the spec file to build specifically for 2.6.32-300 kernel and override the kmodtool,
    but let %kernel_module_package take care of it.
  • 5. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    Dude! Guru
    It seems you are only building the rpm package for a kernel module. You don't necessarily need a rpm package to install a kernel driver. Perhaps you can share more info on what you are doing exactly and what instructions you are following? It usually helps to explain in some details what you are trying to accomplish rather than just giving your conclusions, because your proposed solution or problem analysis may not be correct.

Like I said before, the "uek-rpm-config" package does not exist to my knowledge.

Edited by: Dude on Sep 6, 2012 7:23 AM
  • 6. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    960314 Newbie
    Here are some more details of what I’m doing and need more info about.

I want to update the qla2xxx driver, for new upcoming hardware, for UEK in Boot from SAN (BFS)
    Environment.
    For this purpose I’m using ddiskit, which is kernel driver update tool and can be found at below link,
    http://dup.et.redhat.com/ddiskit/

Since Oracle Linux has two variants of kernels installed, in my case they are,
    2.6.32-200.el6.x86_64 and 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64.

Here the qla2xxx driver dd.iso is generated using ddiskit for 2.6.32-200.el6.x86_64.
    Using this dd.iso I’m able to boot from a SAN disk.

Now I want to prepare the dd.iso using ddiskit for 2.6.32-300.3.1.el6uek.x86_64.
    Here is where I need more info.

1.     Can ddiskit be used for UEK kernel for BFS environment the way it can be used for Redhat Linux kernels.
    2.     If ddiskit is not supported for UEK then what is the recommended method to update the driver for UEK in BFS environment
  • 7. Re: uek-rpm-config rpm similar to redhat-rpm-config ?
    Dude! Guru
    What is a BFS environment please, and what information exists that the qla2xxx driver built into UEK kernel needs updating?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points