This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 9:24 AM by HartmutStreppel RSS

Zone cluster and NFS

user13843357 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hiya folks.

Setup is, 2 global nodes running 3.3 and a zone cluster setup among them. NFS share from a Netapp filer that could be mounted on both the global zones.

I’m not aware of way how I can present this NFS share to the zone clusters.
This is a failover cluster setup and there won’t be any parallel I/O from the other cluster node.

Heard the path I should follow is loopback F/S. Seek your advice. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
osp
  • 1. Re: Zone cluster and NFS
    HartmutStreppel Explorer
    Hi,
    do you need to mount the NFS filesystems in the global zone?

You could configure the NFS file systems where you need them: in the zone cluster using the clnas command. Did you try that?
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19680-01/html/821-1263/clnas-1cl.html

If you do not want the full integration of NAS with lock recovery etc, you could just NFS mount it in all of the zones of the zone cluster. You said, that your zone cluster is a failover setup, so that should be safe.
    Regards
    Hartmut
  • 2. Re: Zone cluster and NFS
    user13843357 Newbie
    Thanks Hartmut,

Wow this is a great idea. How can you compare it to adding a standard file system like UFS/ZFS to the zone cluster ?. I'm trying to understand how the presenting would work. Say, If filer A has a NFS share by the name of share1 how can i present this to the zone cluster zc1? Also how would i make the share available on zc1 ?. Should i first add it then

This is what i can think of.

clns -t netapp -u nasadmin -f /home/nasadmin/passwd.txt -Z zc1 netapp_nfs_vfiler1

Few concerns here, the -u and the password should be vfiler users or are they unix users ? where does the share get presented to on the zone cluster ?.

should i use :

clns add-dir -d /nfs_share1 netapp_nfs_vfiler1

TIA
  • 3. Re: Zone cluster and NFS
    user13843357 Newbie
    Folks, any thoughts please
  • 4. Re: Zone cluster and NFS
    HartmutStreppel Explorer
    Hi,
    I had been confused by the docs and needed confirmation before replying.

You have to issue the clnas command from the global zone but can use the -Z <zoneclustername> option to work in the zonecluster itself. E.g.
    # clnas add -t netapp -p userid=nasadmin -f <passwd-file> -Z <zc> <appliance>
    # clnas add-dir -Z <zc> -d <dir> <appliance>

Your proposal (it must be clnas, not clns)
    clns -t netapp -u nasadmin -f /home/nasadmin/passwd.txt -Z zc1 netapp_nfs_vfiler1
    clns add-dir -d /nfs_share1 netapp_nfs_vfiler1
    is not quite correct.
    Few concerns here, the -u and the password should be vfiler users or are they unix users ?
    This is the vfiler user!
    where does the share get presented to on the zone cluster ?.
    Good question. Just give it a try.

Let us know whether that worked.
    Hartmut

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points