2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 11:01 AM by 953835 RSS

How do I create an "EAC agent only" instance?

I also see this refered to as a "MDEX Engine server".

I already have two different “Control server” instances up and running.

As I understand it there are different configurations supported, these are the two I am trying to create for our production environment.
      1] Control server – has EAC control (and agent), Workbench, MDEX engine, and our application (configurations)
      2] Agent only server – has EAC agent, MDEX engine

Questions
      Does this topology/configuration make sense?
      Is the agent only server suppose to also have Workbench and/or our application (configuraitons)?
      How does the Control server know there is another instance which is running with just an EAC agent?
      How is the dgraph process on the agent only instance started?
      Is this documented any where? I am using the Endeca Guided Search – Getting
      Started Guide v6.2.2 March 2012 This document only talks about running “sample appliation” and “reference implementation”.
        • 1. Re: How do I create an "EAC agent only" instance?
          gose - oracle
          It's a bit counterintuitive. During the installation of Platform Services, it will ask you if want to install the Application Controller. If you want to install just the EAC Agent, say No here. Only then will it ask you if you want to install the EAC Agent by itself.

Here it is in the documentation. Page 20, steps 7 and 8.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28911_01/PlatformServices.612/pdf/PlatServInstallGuide.pdf

Additionally, you only want one Application Control / Central Server (CS) running. A good diagram is on page 13 here of the EAC Guide.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28911_01/PlatformServices.612/pdf/EACGuide.pdf

Edited by: 932188 on Sep 7, 2012 1:01 PM

Edited by: 932188 on Sep 7, 2012 1:05 PM

Edited by: 932188 on Sep 7, 2012 1:06 PM
          • 2. Re: How do I create an "EAC agent only" instance?
            Does this topology/configuration make sense?
            Yes.
            To set up "agent only" instance:
            1] Install MDEX,
            2] Install PlatformServices (answer N for running EAC),
            3] On Central server update AppConfig.xml (add definition for new dgraph),
            4] On Central server "runcommand.sh --update-definition"
            5] Install Deployment Template by running deploy.sh (answer N for integrate with Workbench),
            6] Start ECA, which starts dgraph - $ENDECA_ROOT/tools/server/bin/startup.sh (Make sure you don't have eca.xml in $ENDECA_CONF/conf/Standalone/localhost)
            7] On Central server "initialize_services.sh",
            8] On Central server "runcommand.sh DistributeIndexAndApply"
            Is the agent only server suppose to also have Workbench and/or our application (configuraitons)?
            No and no.
            How does the Control server know there is another instance which is running with just an EAC agent?
            The AppConfig.xml on the Central server instance needs to be updated. Don't use the Workbench EAC admin console to do this. Only use that interface for stop/start and monitoring. Any permanent config changes you should make to AppConfig.xml by hand.
            How is the dgraph process on the agent only instance started?
            $ENDECA_ROOT/tools/server/bin/startup.sh
            How do I "turn on" an EAC agent only instance/server?

Edited by: EndecaJoe on Nov 9, 2012 8:55 AM