Dear all,

We are in the process of upgrading our apps 11i to 12.1.3

Please advise if this is ok

Kai

Edited by: KaiS on Sep 10, 2012 12:55 PM
  • 1. Re: apps upgrade
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    Our DB is on linux 64 bit and apps on 32 bit and client requires 64 bit. Now in order to do the upgrade, we are working on the below plan :

The plan will be

a) 2 new servers - DB server with Linux 64 bit (which I will clone existing db tier )
    App server with Linux 64 bit - will remain idle

b) Clone the existing 32 app tier (prod) to one of the 32 bit test server pointing to the new 64 bit database mentioned in step a

c) Do the pre-upgrade tasks there in the 32 bit test server ..

d) clone the app alone to the 64 bit new app server. (or) install r12 in the new server 64 bit

Please advise if this is ok
    It is OK but it is not the best approach.

The best approach would be the following:

Step 1) Clone the DB servers to the new 64-bit ones
    Step 2) Lay down R12 software directly on the new 64-bit Apps tier servers
    Step 3) Upgrade from 11i to R12 by running the upgrade driver from the new 64-bit Apps servers which you laid down in Step 2

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: apps upgrade
    609621 Newbie
    Thanks Hussein.

Upgrade from 11i to R12 by running the upgrade driver from the new 64-bit Apps servers which you laid down in Step 2

11i cannot run on 64 bit . How Can I cloen and upgrade. Pls advise

Kai
  • 3. Re: apps upgrade
    Kai,
    11i cannot run on 64 bit . How Can I cloen and upgrade. Pls advise
    You do not need to clone 11i, just lay down R12 software on the 64-bit Apps servers and run the upgrade driver.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 4. Re: apps upgrade
    609621 Newbie
    Thanks Hussein. Then pre-upgrade tasks in the app tier need to be done right ? . Sorry for my ignorance. Appreciate your understanding.

Kai
  • 5. Re: apps upgrade
    Kai,
    Thanks Hussein. Then pre-upgrade tasks in the app tier need to be done right ? . Sorry for my ignorance. Appreciate your understanding.
    What pre-upgrade tasks you are referring to? Any 11i pre-upgrade tasks can be implemented on the 32-bit servers and any R12 pre-upgrade tasks can be implemented on the R12 64-bnit servers and before the upgrade.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: apps upgrade
    609621 Newbie
    Thanks Hussein.

So, we need only the DB tier for the upgrade process or do we need the existing 11i app tier for upgrade too. ?

Pls advise

Kai
  • 7. Re: apps upgrade
    So, we need only the DB tier for the upgrade process or do we need the existing 11i app tier for upgrade too. ?

Pls advise
    You need the DB tier and the R12 tier (which you will lay down on the new servers). The 11i Apps tier is not required (in case you have CUSTOM_TOPs you need to copy them to Apps R12 Apps tier (APPL_TOP) which can done before or after the upgrade).

Thanks,
    Hussein

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points