This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 7:04 AM by 960196 RSS

Select COUNT(*) returns Double starting with Oracle Client 11.1.0.7

960196 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Current C++ Application using ODBC API calling Oracle Client 10g (all versions), 11gR1 (v11.1.0.6) returns a LONG (4-byte integer) for "SELECT COUNT(*) from tablename"

Change Oracle client to 11gR1 (v11.1.0.7) or higher (11.2.x.y etc) and that same statement returns a DOUBLE (8-byte floating value equivalent to oracle NUMBER data type).

Since the backend DB was not changed in the testing (same version), there must be a client side setting (I presume) that has changed the default behaviour of this Aggregate SQL function to return a double rather than a long. I'm hoping to find such a setting that I can either set programmatically through an ODBC API call, or in the Oracle Client configuration itself.

I even tried using SQL CAST to make it an INT SELECT CAST(COUNT(*) AS INT) FROM tablename but that still returns a DOUBLE (8-byte floating NUMBER).

Note: given that I use ODBC, I've written alot of generic C++ code supporting the return value as LONG, as that is how it's been for 10 years via ODBC. I'd like to maintain that if possible without having to write ORACLE specific code within my applications.

Edited by: user3071932 on Sep 5, 2012 12:42 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points