This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 4:06 AM by PaoloM RSS

How to change background color in code editor?

960146 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi. Some of the pre-selectable Schemes under Tools->Preferences->Code Editor->PL/SQL Syntax Color (e. g. Ocean) have a "global" default background color that applies to all styles. How can I edit this color for my own color scheme?

(SQL Developer version 3.1.07)
  • 1. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    PaoloM Newbie
    Hi,
    I was trying to perform the same changes on my SQLDev installation, but it seems it's not possible.
    I even tried to change manually the XML configuration file, but I didn't get any good result.
    It's another half baked functionality in SQLDev that will never get the proper attention.

Thanks,
    Paolo
  • 2. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator
    I don't believe you can via the user interface. But you can edit the themes manually. Here's a post on the JDeveloper forum where someone has done something similar.

dark color as background (theme / look and feel)

We won't support you if you 'mess something up,' so be sure to backup your work or be prepared to start over.

You could submit a new idea to our Exchange for making this directly configurable in the preferences, sqldeveloper.oracle.com
  • 3. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    PaoloM Newbie
    Jeff,
    thanks for your answer.

I already tried to create a modified theme for SQL developer following that post and other similar ones, but I did not succeed.
    In that post it's mentioned that you should incorporate the new theme jar file in the project and rebuild it in JDev to apply the changes, but it's not clear to me how you can do it in SQL Developer. Do you have any suggestions?

I believe there is already a request opened last year on the exchange (https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=43135:7:15956882391101::NO:RP,7:P7_ID:23701) and it's already in the top 10, but it's still open.

Thanks,
    Paolo
  • 4. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    Let's take it from another direction. What do you want the editor to look like roughly?

After selecting the scheme you can go in and change any of the settings. Perhaps what you want is possible now?
  • 5. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    PaoloM Newbie
    Jeff,
    if you try to change all the plsql keywords to the same background color (that is not either white or black or blue) via the options panel in SQL Developer (Code Editor > PLSQL syntax colors), you will get the new background color in the worksheet only for the areas with plsql text, while the areas without any text will have the same background color as the base color scheme you started with. This means that there is no way to change the "general background" color via the options panel, but you have to use the same background color of one of the predefined color schemes.

This seems to me a bug, but probably it's not considered high priority, so it will not be fixed for the time being.

I would like to stress the fact that being able to change the color scheme of the development environment that you use every day about 8 hours a day can make quite a difference on your eyes at the end of the day.

Thanks,
    Paolo
  • 6. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    Correct, you can only change the color scheme of the editors in SQL Developer.

So you're only coding 8hrs a day? At least it sounds like you have a normal life :)

All joking aside, I totally understand where you're coming from. We get a lot of the look-and-feel mechanisms and behaviors from JDeveloper. That doesn't mean we can't make improvements or extend this functionality. I invite you to submit your idea to our Exchange. Then get all of your friends to vote up your suggestion. This helps us prioritize feature development for upcoming versions of SQL Developer.

http://sqldeveloper.oracle.com
  • 7. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    user13176513 Newbie
    I went to your link to make a request, typed in all of the data, hit "create" and it gave me the error message: "You are not authorized to edit this request".

Any other ideas?
  • 8. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    Can you go back in your browser and recover your POST content? Send it to me and i'll submit it for you. Not sure why you got that error message.
    jeff.d.smith@oracle.com
  • 9. Re: How to change background color in code editor?
    PaoloM Newbie
    Hi user13176513,
    I believe it would be better if you instead vote on the existing request that is already in the top 10 (https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=43135:7:8688292958415::NO:RP,7:P7_ID:23701), instead of creating a new one that no one will consider because it does not have enough votes.

Thanks for the attention,
    Paolo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points