5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2012 6:08 PM by morgalr RSS

Best Java Barcode reader library?

I'm looking to read barcodes from scanned documents. The idea is to create marker pages to be inserted in stacks of pages for scanning, classifying the document type etc., so that the documents can be stored in the right places.

The most visible library for barcode scanning on the Internet seems to be "zxing" (Zebra Crossing) on Google. I've been experimenting with this but, thus far, detection rates seem pretty disappointing.

What have people's experiences with this stuff been like? Are there more dependable libraries out there?

(Later)

I've found out what makes zxing unreliable - it's the behaviour of our scanner which produces a halo of dithered gray arround the black areas on the paper. This is sure to mess up edge detection. Doing a blur operation on the image, or tellling the scanner to return the image embeded in an PDF gets arround it.

Edited by: malcolmmc on 17-Jan-2012 15:52
        • 1. Re: Best Java Barcode reader library?
          gimbal2
          malcolmmc wrote:
          I've found out what makes zxing unreliable - it's the behaviour of our scanner which produces a halo of dithered gray arround the black areas on the paper. This is sure to mess up edge detection.
          What an amazingly unusual problem to have!
          Doing a blur operation on the image
          Okay...
          or tellling the scanner to return the image embeded in an PDF gets arround it.
          Could you explain that some more? What exactly in embedding the image in a PDF is so different that it would no longer cause problems?
          • 2. Re: Best Java Barcode reader library?
            gimbal2 wrote:
            malcolmmc wrote:
            I've found out what makes zxing unreliable - it's the behaviour of our scanner which produces a halo of dithered gray arround the black areas on the paper. This is sure to mess up edge detection.
            What an amazingly unusual problem to have!
            I have to admit this behaviour took me by surprise. I can't see the point of it. It looks like the image has been interpolated up from a lower res physical scan.

>
            Doing a blur operation on the image
            Okay...
            or tellling the scanner to return the image embeded in an PDF gets arround it.
            Could you explain that some more? What exactly in embedding the image in a PDF is so different that it would no longer cause problems?
            I'm using the scanning facility on a large, expensive Konica printer/copier. It e-mails me the scan either as a .tiff or a PDF. The image it embeds in the PDF seems to be greyscale, whereas the .tiff image appears to be single bit.

The fringes on the greyscale images are a grey gradient. On the .tiff image they are dithered, hence produce isolated black pixels amongst the white (and vica-versa).

I'm only asking for a 600dpi scan, having assumed these machines would have a higher physical resolution than that.
            • 3. Re: Best Java Barcode reader library?
              kdwolf
              Hi Malcolm,

I have just seen your post and I have a same need - to read barcode.
              Can you share your experience, please? Does it work for you?

Many thanks in advance!
              • 4. Re: Best Java Barcode reader library?
                Hey kdwolf,

I would just like to inform you about a bar code decoding libraries which our company proved very effective: www.manateeworks.com

The PDF417 is especially powerful, and from many sample apps we've been testing, it turned out to be the most reliable.

Check them out if you still need mobiscan SDK's.

Hope this helps.

Regards
                Adamantus
                • 5. Re: Best Java Barcode reader library?
                  morgalr
                  malcolmmc wrote:
                  I'm only asking for a 600dpi scan, having assumed these machines would have a higher physical resolution than that.
                  The Konica scanners do 100, 200, 300, 400, and 600 dpi Twain. You should check your scanner model for specific default resolutions and configured settings. Often the multifeature devices will have default settings to complement their features: ie the scan feature may be defaulted to 100 dpi for fax or it maybe that your initialization is activating a lower setting. In the specs I read, I did not see if those are optical resolutons or if any are interpreted.