This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 7:01 AM by user620833 RSS

Using older ODBC drivers with 11G

user620833 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Has anyone had the need to use 9i Oracle ODBC drivers with 11g? What issues might be raised with this? Our application is using a very old technology and has issues, in certain functional areas, with 11g ODBC, and we found by reverting the driver to 9.0.0.2 it works.

Thoughts? Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    orafad Oracle ACE
    I'd say: don't go down that road.

9i ODBC component requires the 9i Client files -- OCI, Net, Core RSFs, etc. You don't mix and match. And I certainly would not try to force something like that upon customers as it breaks support, just to mention one issue.

What you are trying to do is along the lines of using system dlls from Win 95 to "fix" issues in Win 7.
  • 2. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    user620833 Newbie
    So true, but because it is a legecy application there are certain app areas that are failing, i.e. this is an error:

ORA-01461 - can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column

So, the quick fix is to revert the driver to 9i. Using 9i against 11g backend. That seems to "play" well. Ideas?
  • 3. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    Tridus Journeyer
    As a quick workaround? Yes, the 9i client will work against an 11g database.

It's not a very good long term solution to do that though, simply because if you ever need to move to a newer version of Windows the 9i client is itself going to have problems (or not work at all) and then you'll be in a pickle.
  • 4. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    user620833 Newbie
    So you don't see an issue with using the entire 9i client, but do see an issue with mixing and matching files with an 11g client (i.e. dropping 9i's sqora32.dll).
    I'm not sure what is meant by new version of Windows? Regardless of the Windows versions, they support 32bit. What do you mean, thanx?

Also, if the same dll is used for ODBC connections, i.e. same name, isn't the last client install going to "trump" that file registeration? I see 2002-2011 file dates based on 9,10,11 installs. All different file sizes.

"Trump it" because of "pathing" issues, etc.

Edited by: user620833 on Sep 17, 2012 6:01 AM

Edited by: user620833 on Sep 17, 2012 6:55 AM
  • 5. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    Tridus Journeyer
    user620833 wrote:
    So you don't see an issue with using the entire 9i client, but do see an issue with mixing and matching files with an 11g client (i.e. dropping 9i's sqora32.dll).
    Yes, the entire 9i client will work. Mixing and matching might work, or it might not. The DLLs are built against a specific version of Oracle client and rely on it for its actual Oracle connectivity. Changing that can break things in unexpected an horrific ways. In some cases it just won't work at all.
    I'm not sure what is meant by new version of Windows? Regardless of the Windows versions, they support 32bit. What do you mean, thanx?
    The 9i client was never tested on Windows 7 for example. If something doesn't work in Windows 7 (and given how long it's been it's pretty likely) then you're just stuck because Oracle isn't going to fix it. XP is about to hit end of life on Microsoft's end, so it's not a platform you can stay on forever. Also I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to install 9i into a 64 bit version of Windows 7, whereas the 32 bit 11g client works in that scenario. The end of the 32 bit OS itself is coming in the near future, so that's another scenario to be concerned about.
    Also, if the same dll is used for ODBC connections, i.e. same name, isn't the last client install going to "trump" that file registeration? I see 2002-2011 file dates based on 9,10,11 installs. All different file sizes.
    IIRC if you install two Oracle clients in two different homes, both appear as ODBC drivers for connections. Don't have that setup right now so I can't confirm it.
  • 6. Re: Using older ODBC drivers with 11G
    user620833 Newbie
    Thanx for your time and support, and yes they do show up as different homes but I've read that the PATH would need updating?

Follow the instructions to install the products, and to install the ODBC Driver. You will also need to:
         change your PATH environment variable to include the directory containing SQORA32.DLL
         set up a tnsnames.ora file. This can be placed either in the same directory as the Instant Client or some other directory. The Instant Client provides no means to configure the tsnames.ora file (which contains the Oracle network names). The easiest way to create tnsnames.ora is to set it up on a machine that has the full client then copy it across.
         set environment variable TNS_ADMIN to the directory containing tnsnames.ora

Do you know if Oracle has released a document defining it ODBC file sqora32.dll conformance, meaning it is obvoiusly changing in size, etc so what standard revision of ODBC does it support, etc. I would expect that file to increase, i.e. 10g is less than 9i, but 11g is the largest file size? What happened to 10g's copy?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points