This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 12:09 PM by J Peters RSS

Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1

phoenixdigital Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle VM Manager
Version: 3.1.1.305
Build: 20120430_305

I have recently updated to the most recent Java 7 update 7 on my Windows 7 64bit PC and can no longer VNC into my VMs from the VM Manager.

I even went to the trouble of uninstalling anything Java on this machine and then reinstalling however it still gives this error (text content at end of message)
http://i.imgur.com/ikcIS.jpg

So can someone please point me towards where I find the IP and port I should use to connect to my VMs with TightVNC directly?

The actual error in the text section below is
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:     BEX64
Application Name:     javaws.exe
Application Version:     10.7.2.10
Application Timestamp:     503d7bc5
Fault Module Name:     javaws.exe
Fault Module Version:     10.7.2.10
Fault Module Timestamp:     503d7bc5
Exception Offset:     0000000000016448
Exception Code:     c0000417
Exception Data:     0000000000000000
OS Version:     6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:     3081
Additional Information 1:     d806
Additional Information 2:     d806766b06868b7edb630cb06c6aa7d0
Additional Information 3:     9428
Additional Information 4:     94288905092a426febff2b6139c6f8ed
  • 1. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    budachst Pro
    You can't connect directly to your VMs right away. You can try the appropriate xm comand to do this, though:

xm vncviewer
    Error: No domain given (or several parameters specified)
    Usage: xm vncviewer [--[vncviewer-]autopass] <Domain>

Attach to <Domain>'s VNC server.
    --autopass                     Pass VNC password to viewer via stdin and 
    -autopass
    vncviewer-autopass           (consistency alias for autopass)

On OSX I don't have any issue connecting to my guest's via Java 7.
  • 2. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    user151987 Newbie
    I'm having a similar problem...
    After updating to Java7_07, (using IE9 on Windows 7 sp1 64bit...) when I click on the "Launch Console" icon within OVM Manager 3.1.1_365, the browser downloads a .jnlp file, but upon launching that file, all I get is a flash of a CMD windows, then nothing - I get returned to the OVM Manager window.

Is this a common issue since the release of JRE7_07? Has Oracle acknowledged this issue?

I had considered rolling back to an earlier version of JRE, however, I'm concerned about the known security weaknesses with those older versions of JRE.

I can't control my VMs properly.

Comments, anyone?

Alex.
  • 3. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    I have not found a solution to this yet from my windows machine. I have since been using my Macbook to connect to VMs via the manager.

As you said I dont really want to revert back to an older version of Java due to security concerns.

Not sure who I can contact as I am currently only evaluating VM Server so do not have a support contract.

It was suggested by a colleague to edit the vm.cfg to allow vnc direct to each machine rather than through the manager. Oracle state they do not support manual modification of vm.cfg files so while possibly a workable solution might cause issues with the VM Manager or Oracle support down the track.

Note the first few lines of a vm.cfg which can be found on the VM Server /OVS/Repositories/0004fb......bfc70c/VirtualMachines/0004...197b99/

vif = ['mac=00:d2:e2:00:00:0f,bridge=192.168.64.0']
    OVM_simple_name = 'OVM Manager'
    vnclisten = '127.0.0.1'

While an older 2.x vm.cfg file looks like this
    vfb = ['type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,vncpasswd=xxxxx']

Not ideal but might work if your desperate?

What would be nice is for Oracle to fix this issue.

Edited by: phoenixdigital on 06-Sep-2012 18:05
  • 4. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    budachst Pro
    If a jnlp file doesn't start up properly on your local Win 7 box, than there's something messed up with your Java 7/WebStart installation. Especially since it runs just fine on my MacBook Pro using Java 7.
  • 5. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    Agreed I am not saying its an issue with VM server but Java itself.

But since Java is maintained by Oracle its still pretty relevant to post here I would have thought.

Not sure what else I can do apart from revert back to an insecure version of Java or keep moving to a Mac for VM work.

While its not affecting me much right now as I am just trailing VM server I am sure there are some commercial users who are going to kick up a stink when they update Java and cant get to their infrastructure.
  • 6. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    An update on this. I got sick of waiting around and uninstalled JRE 7 update 7 and installed JRE 7 update 6.

Getting the same error.
    ------------------------------------

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name:     BEX64
    Application Name:     javaws.exe
    Application Version:     10.6.2.24
    Application Timestamp:     50248e25
    Fault Module Name:     javaws.exe
    Fault Module Version:     10.6.2.24
    Fault Module Timestamp:     50248e25
    Exception Offset:     0000000000016448
    Exception Code:     c0000417
    Exception Data:     0000000000000000
    OS Version:     6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID:     3081
    Additional Information 1:     d806
    Additional Information 2:     d806766b06868b7edb630cb06c6aa7d0
    Additional Information 3:     9428
    Additional Information 4:     94288905092a426febff2b6139c6f8ed

-------------------------------

Anyone got any clues what I can do here?
  • 7. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    Found others with a similar issue different product
    http://docs.i9technologies.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3113436

Tried their workaround by removing "?${RequestUri}" from the jnlp template but that had no effect. Looking at the RequestUri it contains detail of the VM that needs to be opened so you cant delete them.

Original jnlp file at /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/machine1/base_adf_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/_WL_user/ovm_core/tgzc2b/war/ on the manager
    -----
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="${Scheme}://${Server}:${ServerPort}/ovm/rasproxy/"
    href="ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp?${RequestUri}">
    <information>
    -----

Tried downgrading to Java 6 as suggested and my access has been restored from Windows 7 64bit.

So long story short. Stand well clear of Java 7.

Edited by: phoenixdigital on Sep 13, 2012 9:10 PM
  • 8. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    AS102195 Newbie
    Is there any solution to this besides reverting to Java 6? Will it be an Oracle VM fix or Java 7 fix ?

Edit: I see Oracle has bug 15869152 raised for this. The notes indicate it may work under Java 7 Update 9 but I am running that and still get the error.

Edited by: user8286289 on Nov 29, 2012 12:58 PM
  • 9. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    Yeah I had to update to the latest Java and to access certain components of Oracle's website... now I have broken access to the Manager again.

It would be nice if they could resolve this.

The way things are going I am going to have to run a virtualbox VM (with old Java) just to get to my VMs.

Edit: 3 months and this hasn't been fixed yet... pretty appalling breaking access to your own product with an update and taking this long to fix.

Edited by: phoenixdigital on Dec 2, 2012 3:26 PM
  • 10. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    user12273962 Pro
    It works fine for me under java 7. I'm using 7.01 on 64 bit windows 7. Never had an issue. Never.
  • 11. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    With all due respect you are running a version from Oct 2011. It has been mentioned a few times in this thread that we are referring to the latest versions from this year.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u-relnotes-515228.html

I recommend you update as your current Java has MASSIVE security holes.... oh wait.. you might want to keep those security holes to retain access to your VMs.
    http://javatester.org/version.html
  • 12. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    user12273962 Pro
    LOL... Yep... I install every security update that's offered. I can't get them fast enough. I even try to install them before they are released.... ;)

That is why you have a "TEST" environment. I've run java applications for more than 15 years. I might be running something that has a vulnerability... but I don't use java applications outside of a actual "valid application". You should learn not to update at a drop of the hat in the name of being "secure". I have apps that running java version 5..... never had a "security" issue. I even remember when service pack 2 for windows NT4.0 would destroy an oracle portal environment.

Edited by: user12273962 on Dec 3, 2012 2:15 PM

Edited by: user12273962 on Dec 3, 2012 2:17 PM
  • 13. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    phoenixdigital Newbie
    It appears you haven't really read through the thread. Downgrading fixes the issue.

I didn't update "at the drop of a hat" I was forced to update in order to gain access to a section of the Oracle website.

"I seriously doubt that is your problem" is not really that helpful when I have proven that downgrading fixes the issue.

I am more than happy to test out something if you have a suggestion.
  • 14. Re: Java Update has killed VNC Console from VM Manager 3.1
    user12273962 Pro
    Looks like you're right. I must have been something since 7 update 1. Just run the latest version of 6 or change the default version of java used to open the .jnlp

I can tell you 7 update 1 does work and I can go anywhere on oracle. Maybe you've been somewhere I haven't.

It's rather common that you have to run multiple versions of java for various java applications. Its the nature of java.

Edited by: user12273962 on Dec 3, 2012 3:07 PM
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points