This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2012 4:04 AM by 801588 RSS

./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record

801588 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I was trying to install some product software in oracle linux x86_64 VM box. But when I try to run the ./runInstaller it is showing

./runInstaller: error while loading shared libraries: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record

$ file runInstaller
runInstaller: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

this installer is AMD based, and my vm is Oracle Linux 5 (Intel 64-bit, Developer). is this the problem?

And below is my system information.

$ uname -a
Linux abc01kkk 2.6.18-308.0.0.0.1.el5xen #1 SMP Sat Feb 25 16:26:29 EST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also I ran installer using strace, got the following output.

-bash-3.2$ strace -f ./runInstaller
execve("./runInstaller", ["./runInstaller"], [* 43 vars */]) = 0
brk(0) = 0x1a292000
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x2af9a6d02000
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x2af9a6d03000
access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
writev(2, [{"./runInstaller", 14}, {": ", 2}, {"error while loading shared libra"..., 36}, {": ", 2}, {"./runInstaller", 14}, {": ", 2}, {"unsupported version 256 of Verne"..., 42}, {"", 0}, {"", 0}, {"\n", 1}], 10./runInstaller: error while loading shared libraries: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record

) = 113
exit_group(127) = ?

Please suggest.

thanks in advance,
cdhar
  • 1. Re: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record
    Dude! Guru
    The VERNEED error might be caused by some incorrect symbol versioning information in on of your ELF libraries.

For instance:

# readelf -d /bin/ls | grep VERNEED
    0x000000006ffffffe (VERNEED) 0x401578
    0x000000006fffffff (VERNEEDNUM) 3
    I was trying to install some product software
    There is not enough information in your post to pin-point the problem. You are not even saying what you are trying to install. Could you be a bit more vague please?

RunInstaller is typically related to the Oracle installer. You may have installed incompatible software as part of the installation prerequisite.
  • 2. Re: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record
    801588 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.
    I got a project which is created by oracle software packager and installer and oracle universal installer and told me that it will run in linux 64 bit. If I run this it will install our product.

It has following package structure.

Linux/Translations/...
    Linux/Disk1/stage/...
    Linux/Disk1/install/runInstaller.sh

I was trying to run this runInstaller and getting this error.
    Please let me know if you need any other info.

thanks.
  • 3. Re: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record
    Dude! Guru
    Did you install any software prerequisites?

What is oracle linux x86_64 VM box? Are you using Oracle Virtualbox or Oracle VM for x86?

Which version of Oracle Linux 5 do you have installed (not kernel version)?

What was the runInstaller designed for, where did you get it from (software name, version)?
  • 4. Re: ./runInstaller: unsupported version 256 of Verneed record
    801588 Newbie
    I got another version of the same project using which I can open the installation wizard. Need to see what is the change in the project that fixed this issue. May be missing some required files in previous version.

Thanks a lot for your quick inputs.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points