8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 2:38 PM by Billy~Verreynne RSS

Regarding Post Ethics!!!

adf_user
      Hello Moderators/Admins,
      I wanted to raise my concern regarding posting/volunteering in this forum. The day I started posting replies to threads some users started question my post saying its 'pointless', 'stop', etc kind of Adj. I just need to know how far its acceptable.? where are forum ethics gone.?

I would rather have my profile deleted or the Admins need to occasionally have an check on these kind of things.

Thanks a lot for the understanding..
        • 1. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
          EdStevens
          adf_user wrote:
          Hello Moderators/Admins,
          I wanted to raise my concern regarding posting/volunteering in this forum. The day I started posting replies to threads some users started question my post saying its 'pointless', 'stop', etc kind of Adj. I just need to know how far its acceptable.? where are forum ethics gone.?

I would rather have my profile deleted or the Admins need to occasionally have an check on these kind of things.

Thanks a lot for the understanding..
          I'm not the moderator, but I found this post intriguing, so I read through a bunch of threads in which you participated. I only found one thread (of several) where one user suggested your posting was 'pointless' and that you should 'stop', and that after what appeard to me (I'm not a java guy) to be a valid technical disagreement. I think you are over-reacting. Maybe the other guy had an argument with his wife that morning. Maybe he mis-understood your intent. Maybe, in that one case, he was correct and you were confusing the situation. I'd suggest you just let it go and continue to particapate. If you have serveral recurrances along the same theme, you may want to do a little 'soul searching' ("gee, why do I *repeatedly* get the same criticism?") If you dont' have any recurrances, you can chalk it up as an aberration.

To get some perspective, I'd suggest you spend some time reading the database general discussion forum. You really have to "wear your big boy pants" in that forum. No one cuts anyone any slack, and there are a few who are famous for their acid tongues - but their technical expertise is unquestioned.
          • 2. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
            adf_user
            I'm not the moderator, but I found this post intriguing, so I read through a bunch of threads in which you participated. I only found one thread (of several) where one user suggested your posting was 'pointless' and that you should 'stop', and that after what appeard to me (I'm not a java guy) to be a valid technical disagreement. I think you are over-reacting. Maybe the other guy had an argument with his wife that morning. Maybe he mis-understood your intent. Maybe, in that one case, he was correct and you were confusing the situation. I'd suggest you just let it go and continue to particapate. If you have serveral recurrances along the same theme, you may want to do a little 'soul searching' ("gee, why do I *repeatedly* get the same criticism?") If you dont' have any recurrances, you can chalk it up as an aberration.

To get some perspective, I'd suggest you spend some time reading the database general discussion forum. You really have to "wear your big boy pants" in that forum. No one cuts anyone any slack, and there are a few who are famous for their acid tongues - but their technical expertise is unquestioned.
            I apologise if my posts had some adverse effect on others. I definitely did not do it intentionally. Its just that, I wanted a little appreciation though not a 'Java Guru' title. Anyways, I'll take care of it going forward.

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
              Catch_22
              To my experience, what helps from time to time to cope with unprofessional criticism, inappropriate allegations and a rude tone, is to remember this is just a forum. If you start to get emotionally or ethically attached to a thread, you may risk to find yourself at the same level as the opponent.
              • 4. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
                Billy~Verreynne
                EdStevens wrote:

No one cuts anyone any slack
                Quite correct. Slack can only be found in the Church of the SubGenius. For a small fee. Eternal Salvation or TRIPLE Your Money Back!

Without slack, you are condemned to be a pink forever.
                • 5. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
                  adf_user
                  Dude wrote:
                  To my experience, what helps from time to time to cope with unprofessional criticism, inappropriate allegations and a rude tone, is to remember this is just a forum. If you start to get emotionally or ethically attached to a thread, you may risk to find yourself at the same level as the opponent.
                  Noted!
                  • 6. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
                    BluShadow
                    Well, I had a quick look with my moderators hat on... (I don't have that much time to read through all your posts) ...but I couldn't see anything that would be considered particularly bad posting ethics.

If you could provide a link to any threads/posts in question, I could take a closer look for you.

However, you also have to bear in mind that a) not everybody's first language is the same as this is an international forum, and b) like any forum on the internet, the words you read may not be perceived in the way that the poster intended, as you don't have that 1 on 1 personal interaction that would allow you to see or hear how they are intending it to sound, and c) if you relatively new here and don't know the other regular posters you may not understand that some of them are just joking with your or saying something a bit tongue in cheek (i.e. not meaning any offence).
                    • 7. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
                      jgarry
                      Recently the tkyte blog mentioned the forums, and someone there complained "I sadly have to say Tom that the Oracle forums are some of the most unhelpful I have ever read. They often have rude people, with big egos, giving rude responses ..." I couldn't help but picture a prudish librarian with a proper English accent, but of course she is right about the rudeness. I think she is totally wrong about the helpfulness. One of the main things we have to do in technical fora is to encourage asking and answering questions with mathematical precision as much as practicable in this brief format. Doing so in a very precise manner will often come off as a putdown. Of course, that does not excuse rudeness, but it does lead to noting that if it is difficult to tell, a thick skin becomes a necessary asset. I went to back to school night a few nights ago, and my kids' AP calculus teacher made the point that one reason for taking math is to be able to rigorously define and solve problems in all fields - in other words, to think. It is not a coincidence that some of the top O gurus were math majors in college.

We often complain about people using the fora to be spoon fed answers. That's right, this is more of a Socratic method, and you need to stand up and show your work. At its best, it is tough and rigorous. In some more controlled moderation settings, you wind up with a few people who are cabal, and the rest have to meekly ask for assistance. This isn't always bad (I think oracle-l is excellent, though I know some are offended by its moderation, and you might notice I don't participate there), but the usual case is it leads to mediocrity, and often worse (myth propagation, inappropriate "best practices," wrong advice, theft of intellectual property).

So I say, keep it up, only moderate the worst.
                      • 8. Re: Regarding Post Ethics!!!
                        Billy~Verreynne
                        jgarry wrote:
                        Recently the tkyte blog mentioned the forums, and someone there complained "I sadly have to say Tom that the Oracle forums are some of the most unhelpful I have ever read. They often have rude people, with big egos, giving rude responses ..."
                        Same type of mentality that is behind the (not so) great Texas Republican Party that in their 2012 statement said:
                        >
                        Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
                        >

Some people do not like their "beliefs" challenged - from spiritual to that it is okay to ask an "urgent" question in forum of volunteers, demanding a solution to a home work problem. Or even worse - a solution to problems that they get paid by their employers to solve, but are incapable of.

No high order thinking skills. No critical thinking skills. And none must dare to question their fixed beliefs in that slow-by-slow row processing is fast and Oracle is slow. That FTS's are bad. Etc. Etc.

Same type of blind, ignorant, idiot.