11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2012 2:37 AM by Mahir M. Quluzade RSS

10g dataguard - physical standby database

user88831
      Hi Guys,

DB1 <Primary> - Production
      DB2 <Physial Standby> - DR

I will need to startup my DB2 in DR segment for testing.
      If i perform the below, will it affect my Production DB? I need it to be up and running as well.

DR:
      recover managed standby database cancel;
      shutdown immediate;
      startup nomount;
      alter database mount standby database;
      recover standby database until cancel;
      alter database activate standby database;

thanks
        • 1. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
          dbaing wrote:
          DR:
          recover managed standby database cancel;
          shutdown immediate;
          startup nomount;
          alter database mount standby database;
          recover standby database until cancel;
          alter database activate standby database;

thanks
          Hi,

If you do activate standby that means your standby will become primary and you would need to reinstate it to be back to standby database. It will effecting the original primary if you set up the dataguard back to it. Depends on your testing you can open standby as read only.

Cheers
          • 2. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
            10.2 Data Guard Physical Standby Switchover [ID 751600.1]

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-10gr2-switchoverfailoverbest-128455.pdf
            • 3. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
              user88831
              Hi,

thanks for ur help.

If you do activate standby that means your standby will become primary and you would need to reinstate it to be back to standby database.
              agree. basically what i need to open the database in read-write. Can i later database open resetlogs rather than activate it?
              It will effecting the original primary if you set up the dataguard back to it. Depends on your testing you can open standby as read only.
              --> do u mean it will affect and shutdown my original production primary db?

thanks
              • 4. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                Mahir M. Quluzade
                Hi,

In 10g version, you can open database database with READ ONLY mode. In that case standby database
                recieve primary generated changes but not apply .

I see you steps you using ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE statement for activating database

Activate the standby database using the SQL ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE statement. This converts the standby database to a primary database, creates a new reset logs branch, and opens the database.*

If you are not need convert standby database to primary database then , you must use only

ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY;

Regards
                Mahir M. Quluzade
                www.mahir-quluzade.com
                • 5. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                  user88831
                  Hi Mahir,

Just to clarify.
                  10g:
                  I need the standby database to be on read-write mode. (i'm aware that i need to re-instate it back later probably by restoring the production d\b only and enable replication).

But I also need my primary database <production> to be up and running.
                  How can i do this without impact to my primary database <production>?
                  The most impt is my production have to be up.

thanks
                  • 6. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                    Mahir M. Quluzade
                    I think no, if you open standby with Read Only mode, on primary not any effect, Primary is continue sending changes to standby, but standby database is not apply on real time.
                    Because you version is 10g, if you upgrade or install 11g you can open standby database with READ ONLY WITH APPLY. this is ACTIVE DATA GUARD.
                    • 7. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                      Mahir M. Quluzade
                      Then, your standby database must FLASHBACK is enabled, and you can activate standby database, it means standby database changes to primary.
                      After your tests you must FLASHBACK database to SCN BECAME TO PRIMARY sequence.
                      • 8. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                        Mahir M. Quluzade
                        Please check this link : http://gavinsoorma.com/2009/06/using-flashback-to-reinstate-a-standby-after-a-failover/
                        • 9. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                          user88831
                          Hi Mahir,

thanks for ur reply.

I'm actually on 10g.
                          Basically I need to open the standby database to be on read-write mode. I understand that i will break the replication by doing it.
                          In short i want to convert the standby database into a actual database where user can read/write.
                          At the same time, i need the production db to be running.

My question is, will it bring down my production db if i activate the standby database?

thanks
                          • 10. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                            dbaing wrote:

My question is, will it bring down my production db if i activate the standby database?

thanks
                            No, It will not bring down production db by activating standby

Hope it helps

Cheers
                            • 11. Re: 10g dataguard - physical standby database
                              Mahir M. Quluzade
                              No, you down will be only on standby database.
                              Primary will runing on duration of activation standby database.

Regards
                              Mahir M. Quluzade