This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 12:29 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

Database configuration issues

Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I created an virtual machine from the database server template (OVM_EL5U2_X86_64_HCM91_PVM) and encountered the following marginal problems :

1. On the first boot of the machine I configured the database to be started on boot (default choice - +Do you want Oracle Database to be started on boot (y/n) [y]:+ ), unfortunately it looks like the database and listener do not start automatically on the virtual machine start.

2. The /etc/oratab does not contain the database name I gave during the first VM setting.

3. The database password given on the first VM boot are not taken in account, e.g. SYSTEM's password is manager, not the one I gave during the initialization ( Specify a password to be used for database accounts. Note that the same password will be used for SYS, SYSTEM and ADMIN for APEX )...

Nicolas.

Edited by: N. Gasparotto on Nov 7, 2009 11:17 AM
  • 1. Re: Database configuration issues
    559140 Newbie
    Hi Nicolas,

Does the same occour if you elect to manually start the DB, instead?

Otherwise, since this seems more related to Oracle VM and the database, could you post it on the Oracle VM forum and let us know what response you receive?
    Oracle VM and Virtualization
    Oracle VM Server for x86

thanks
    Greg
  • 2. Re: Database configuration issues
    Greg,
    Greg Kelly (556137) wrote:
    Hi Nicolas,

Does the same occour if you elect to manually start the DB, instead?
    I didn't test the other way around. I'll post it on the Oracle VM forum, and report the answer.

Nicolas.
  • 3. Re: Database configuration issues
    N Gasparotto wrote:
    1. On the first boot of the machine I configured the database to be started on boot (default choice - +Do you want Oracle Database to be started on boot (y/n) [y]:+ ), unfortunately it looks like the database and listener do not start automatically on the virtual machine start.
    I know, that's a very very very old thread, and generally, I'm reluctant to resurect such old thread, but this is for the better and for those who are interested, the database is now restarted automatically within the latest PSOVM, Human Capital Management 9.1 Feature Pack 2 Peopletools 8.52.06 from July 2012 (unfortunately is does not with the latest FSCM9.1FP2 PTools 8.52.03 - July'12).
    2. The /etc/oratab does not contain the database name I gave during the first VM setting.
    Interestingly, it is now in /etc/oratab, but like this :
    <mydbname>:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.x/db_1/W
    I'm wondering what's that W means. It should be Y to launch dbstart script on boot or N otherwise.

Moreover, and that's also for the better, the AppServer, Batch Server and PIA are starting automatically on server boot (for PSOVM HCM91FP2 PT8.52.06, not for FSCM91FP2 PT8.52.03) ! Thanks to the PSOVM's team.

So, partially solved - I'll marked it as solved though, but I hope the next wave of PSOVMs will have all the consistent and proper configuration between the all set of PSOVMs.

Nicolas.
  • 4. Re: Database configuration issues
    BobLilly Expert
    Hi Nicolas,

I'm not sure if its documented anywhere else, but if you look at the dbstart script in $ORACLE_HOME/bin, it appears that the "W" flag in oratab means "wait for ASM".

>
    W_ORACLE_SID=`echo $LINE | awk -F: '{print $1}' -`
    # DB instances with 'W' (wait state) have a dependency on ASM instances via CRS.
    # Wait here for 'all' ASM instances to become available.
    >

Regards,
    Bob
  • 5. Re: Database configuration issues
    Hello Bob,

Nice catch. Honnestly, I did not had a look into the script you mentioned. Better late than never, I did not know, but the third parameter "W" seems to be a 10.2.0.2 new feature.
    And here it is documented :
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/server.112/e10839/strt_stp.htm#CFAHAHGA
    +"You can set dbstart to autostart a single-instance database that uses an Automatic Storage Management installation that is auto-started by Oracle Clusterware. This is the default behavior for an Automatic Storage Management cluster. To do this, you must change the oratab entry of the database and the Automatic Storage Management installation to use a third field with the value W and N, respectively. These values specify that dbstart auto-starts the database only after the Automatic Storage Management instance is started."+

Thanks again,

Nicolas.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points