This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 10:14 AM by user12273962 RSS

How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?

829559 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
As suggested by another poster, I installed the prebuilt appliance at [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html] and [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html] with the intent of running oracle database in a linux vm as a guest on windows 7 and connecting to it using JDBC from the windows host.

This is running but I don't know how to install other stuff. I tried "sudo yum install openssh" and "sudo yum install emacs" and "sudo service sshd status" and none of these worked (it could not find these packages). I could not get apt-get or app-get or aptget to work either. I was hoping that "uname -a" would tell me if this was fedora or debian or something else but no luck. What command do I use to learn the distro name?

How do I make ifconfig tell me what the ip address so I can use "scp" and "ssh" to get into the box? Ok, /sbin/ifconfig works and I see there is only a loopback address. Ack! How do I create a socket so I can ssh into this little beastie?

How do I disable the firewall or (better yet) punch holes in it so I get use JDBC and ssh, scp and samba from windows 7?

I tried firing up the SQL Developer 3.1 and getting a test connection with username and password of "oracle" with no luck. How do I get a test connection to work?

How do I determine if the database is running? If not, how do I start it and stop it and restart it?

Thanks
Siegfried

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 15, 2012 6:29 PM

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 15, 2012 6:33 PM
  • 1. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    829559 Newbie
    OK, I added a host and bridge socket and now I can ssh into the vm.

I still cannot install emacs or RCS. Apparently I don't need to install openssh.

OK, so I run oracle developer and I try to connect and specify username and password = oracle, hostname=127.0.0.1, port=1521, sid=orcl.

I try OS Authentication and that does not help. I keep getting
    Status: Failure - Test failed: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; login denied.

I thought the documentation said all the usernames and passwords are "oracle".

Thanks
    Siegfried

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 16, 2012 2:16 PM
  • 2. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    user12273962 Pro
    There is no "oracle" account native to the database itself. This is just the default account that owns the application. Log on as oracle/oracle to the OS. (OEL) You can change the passwords of the sys and system account by setting your $ORACLE_HOME and $ORACLE_SID. Default SID is orcl on a database install. Also set a path to the oracle binaries in the form of $ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Then sqlplus / as sysdba

Change passwords of sys and system using the following example.

ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY [password];

ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY [password];

The supplied appliance runs oracle enterpirse linux. Not debain or fedora.

Why do you need "emacs"?

I haven't personally load this appliance with Virtual Box but there has to be a readme file somewhere that details all the passwords and etc.
  • 3. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    829559 Newbie
    OK, I found a document in $HOME and it said all passwords where oracle.

So I tried your advice confirmed the environment variables were set and started up sqlplus.

I could not log in to SYSDBA or sysdba or SYS or sys with the password oracle.

Can someone help me get started?

Now what do you recommend for accounts if I am just using this for tutorials? Should I create my own account or use sysdba for everything?

Thanks
    Siegfried
  • 4. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    user12273962 Pro
    If you have you variables set right.... then you don't need a password to do sqlplus / as sysdba

The command will connect the $ORACLE_HOME and $ORACLE_SID of the values set. This will not challenge you for a password. You will still have sysdba privileges. You can then change the passwords to whatever you want to set them to using the commands I gave you.
  • 5. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    829559 Newbie
    Yahoo! I thought that was a typo but I it is not. That is weird syntax for sqlplus to log in as sysdba.

OK, I still don't know how to install emacs but I suppose that is not important (yet).

Do you recommend I just use sysdba or create another account for creating databases and running queries to run thru some tutorials?
  • 6. Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect?
    user12273962 Pro
    You have to have sysdba privileges to create databases using sql. If you're going to create more databases. I recommend using dbca.

You should create another account/schema to buildout whatever you want to build. Grant that account the minimum necessary privileges need to accomplish whatever you want to accomplish.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points