This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 2:06 AM by mseberg RSS

DataGuard Broker in 11gR2 - StaticConnectIdentifier

kirkladb Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Ok, I have read that in 11gR2 you no longer have the requirement of putting in a static entry in your listener.ora file with <SID>_DGMGRL if you use the Dataguard Broker parameter: StaticConnectIdentifier. I have used this new parameter and it was set up automatically to be:

StaticConnectIdentifier = '(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=DB1)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=prod_sb_DGMGRL)(INSTANCE_NAME=prod_sb)(SERVER=DEDICATED)))'

My question is that there is no entry anywhere that specifies the SERVICE_NAME as prod_sb_DGMGRL. Will my switchover work without that SERVICE_NAME being defined no where? Am I missing a step? Thanks folks.
  • 1. Re: DataGuard Broker in 11gR2 - StaticConnectIdentifier
    mseberg Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello;

I'm thinking the switchover will fail with an ORA-12514. Without the listener.ora entry DGMGRL will not be able to connect to the databases after they have been stopped.

So you still need the _DGMGRL or at least a static entry in the listener.ora. In any event the static entry will not cause an issue.

*Switchover Failed With ORA-12521 using Dataguard Broker [ID 1380949.1]*

For additional information see - 8.3.40 StaticConnectIdentifier in "Data Guard Broker 11g Release 2 (11.2) E17023-04"

"A connect identifier that refers to a service that is statically registered"

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Sep 20, 2012 4:04 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points