1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 6:33 AM by orafad RSS

how to connect from excel to oracle db through oracle provider for ole db

Dear experts,

I'd like to connect to Oracle db from excel via Oracle Provider for Ole DB. (using Windows 7 64bit, Office 2007, Oracle XE 32bit 11.2.0.2)
      My Oracle XE database is installed locally on the same Win7 64bit machine where excel from which I want to connect to db.

However when I go to "Data Connection Wizard / Other/Advanced" it looks that Oracle Provider for OLE DB does not exist

The question is
      1. whether I need to install additional ODAC package or maybe it is already included in the XE server version and need to be somehow activated
      2. If ODAC installation is required which version should I choose (32 or 64 bit)?
      3. Could you please provide the steps with information how to proceed (or links where can I read it)?

Thank you,
      Kind regards,
      Lukasz
        • 1. Re: how to connect from excel to oracle db through oracle provider for ole db
          orafad
          lumis wrote:
          1. whether I need to install additional ODAC package or maybe it is already included in the XE server version and need to be somehow activated
          As far as I can tell, same components should be provided with XE.

OLE DB is listed as an available app dev's feature:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm#BABDDIAE

I have other Oracle Database software installed on my machine, which may have overwritten OraOLEDB (there can be only one...), so I can't verify for XE 11.2. On another machine with 10.2 XE, OraOLEDB exists from XE install.
          However in 11.2, in the server\bin folder OraOLEDB11.dll etc. files exist. (But as said, can't verify if installer registerred OraOleDb.).

Note however that win x64 is not on the list of supported/system requirements. The x64 version have been about to be released for a year. XE 11.2 Windows 64
          Maybe that wouldn't help in OLE DB case either, if you needed 32-bit data provider.

2. If ODAC installation is required which version should I choose (32 or 64 bit)?
          If Excel is 32-bit, you would need 32-bit connectivity/data access software.

See ODAC otn page for downloads, instructions, etc.

OraOleDb provider has its own forum, in the Win and .Net section.

Edited by: orafad on Sep 20, 2012 1:31 PM