This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 1:21 PM by matthew_morris Branched to a new discussion. RSS

ERROR: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conve

838626 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I get a clean compile but get this runtime error with your 4.2 guest APEX account I have been using.

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conversion error

I have made a successful list of the attachments to a project. There are four fields but when I add the download column I get the error message and no attachments appear.

filename created on size download

I am trying to make the download column hot with the word "Download" so it opens the selected file when clicked.

I believe this is the offending entry in Report Attributes > Column Attributes > Name/date Format field:

DOWNLOAD:SDS_ATTACH_TBL:ATTACH_FILE:ATTACH_SEQ::ATTACH_MIMETYPE:
ATTACH_FILENAME:LST_UPDT_DT:ATTACH_CHARSET:inline:DOWNLOAD

Can you see where I am going wrong?

Thank you.

Edited by: user13157306 on Sep 20, 2012 11:31 AM
  • 1. Re: ERROR: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conve
    matthew_morris Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    While I've sometimes seen this error returned for misleading reasons, 98.5% of the time it means that you have a table with a NUMBER column and you are trying to store character data in it. You can also get it if you try to pass character data as a parameter to a stored subprogram that is expecting a NUMBER parameter. In fact I got it just today because I was pulling values from a NUMBER field in a table, but I'd had Apex display the values as currency, so when I pulled the page item data, I was effectively trying to pass '$1,000.00' to a function as a NUMBER.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points