This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2012 11:34 PM by DamnGoodCoffee! RSS

LDOMs, Solaris zones and Live Migration

DamnGoodCoffee! Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

If you are planning to use Solaris zones inside a LDOM and using an external zpool as Solaris zone disk, wouldn't this break one of the requirements for being able to do a Live Migration ? If so, do you have any ideas on how to use Solaris zones inside an LDOM and at the same time be able to do a Live Migration or is it impossible ? I know this may sound as a bad idea but I would very much like to know if it is doable.
  • 1. Re: LDOMs, Solaris zones and Live Migration
    Marcel Hofstetter JomaSoft Newbie
    I like the concept of Zones inside of LDoms very much. This is the most flexible combination,
    because it allows you to even migrate/upgrade the Zone out of the LDom to a sun4u system, if required.

The point here is, what do you exactly mean with "external zpool"?

If you store the Zone on a SAN Disk which is available to your target control domain, everything is fine for
    live migration. We always use one or more SAN Disk per Zone for maximum flexibility.

Best regards,
    Marcel Hofstetter
    JomaSoft
  • 2. Re: LDOMs, Solaris zones and Live Migration
    DamnGoodCoffee! Newbie
    Thanks,

By external pool I am thinking of the way you probably are doing it, separate LUNs mirrored in a zpool for the zones coming from two separate IO/Service domains. So even if this zpool exist inside the LDOM as zone storage this will not prevent LM ? That's good news. The requirement "no zpool if Live Migration" must then only be valid for the LDOM storage itself and not for storage attached to the running LDOM. I am also worried about a possible performance penalty introducing an extra layer of virtualisation. Have you done any tests regarding this ?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points