1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 12:32 PM by santoshkbh RSS

How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?

user8816970
      OK, thanks to Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect? I can now run sqlplus. What a struggle!

Now this is running on a linux guest on a windows host. What do I need to install on the windows side so I can run sqlplus on windows to manipulate databases in the linux guest?

I know I can install the entirety of the oracle database. I just want the sqlplus on windows.

If I just install the sqlplus on windows, can I expect to be able create databases, populate them and query them from windows?

Thanks
      Siegfried
        • 1. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
          sb92075
          user8816970 wrote:
          OK, thanks to Re: How to Install emacs, openssh and start oracle database and get a connect? I can now run sqlplus. What a struggle!

Now this is running on a linux guest on a windows host. What do I need to install on the windows side so I can run sqlplus on windows to manipulate databases in the linux guest?

I know I can install the entirety of the oracle database. I just want the sqlplus on windows.

If I just install the sqlplus on windows, can I expect to be able create databases, populate them and query them from windows?

Thanks
          Siegfried
          below is a freeware alternative to SQL*Plus

http://www.squirrelsql.org/
          • 2. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            You have two options

1. Install Oracle client software ( includes SQL*Plus ) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html
            2. Or download and install SQL Developer ( a GUI client ) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
              EdStevens
              user8816970 wrote:

Thanks
              Siegfried
              Ok, I'm going to read between the lines here and see if I can clarify your setup.

It sounds as if you are running a Windows desktop/laptop and - on that computer - have created a virtual machine under either VMware or VirtualBox. That vm is running linux. You want to be able to use SQLPlus and/or other client tools on the host Windows system to access the database on the guest vm.

Am I correct so far?

You only need to install the Oracle Client software on the Windows system. You treat the vm just like any remote linux server. this is further assuming that you have the virtual networking set up correctly, and the vm has a fixed IP address (not 127.0.0.1) that maps correctly to the network adapter created by the virtualization software on the host, and the listener is configured to use that fixed IP.
              • 4. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                user8816970
                Ed: You are correct! I have verified that I can (cygwin) ssh from my windows host to my linux guest.

I have tried installing the client in the above URL and it won't install. The clues are very sparse: no error messages! I have tried todo it in administrator mode too! no luck. No error messages!

I wanted to avoid installing the oracle database server on windows. I have successfully installed the client previously (on a different windows box) after having installed the server. Do I need to install the oracle database server on this box in order to install sqlplus?

Incidently, I'm running the lastest virtual box, the lastest oracle (11g2) and windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks,
                Siegfried

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 21, 2012 1:01 PM
                • 5. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                  sb92075
                  user8816970 wrote:
                  Ed: You are correct! I have verified that I can (cygwin) ssh from my windows host to my linux guest.

I have tried installing the client in the above URL and it won't install. The clues are very sparse: no error messages! I have tried todo it in administrator mode too! no luck. No error messages!
                  OUI requires functioning X-Windows; which can be challenging when you don't know what you are doing.

• 6. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                    Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
                    SQL Developer is free, works in Win7, does not need Oracle Client, and understands SQL*Plus commands
                    • 7. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                      user8816970
                      I've used squirrel before (a long time ago) and I recall that it is a java GUI client. I would like a command line tool like sqlplus.

As I recall, the SQL Developer is a java GUI client too.

Does squirrel have typing assist like SQL Developer does?

Can someone recommend something like sqlplus (or Microsoft's sqlcmd) that is just a plain old command line?
                      • 8. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                        jgarry
                        If you are having trouble installing the client, another option is XE. Yes, it is a complete functioning server, but you can shut it down and just use sqlplus command line. Easy peasey, and, hey, free server!
                        • 9. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                          I would like a command line tool like sqlplus.
                          Do you want it to use for automation, call from scripts?
                          Then you better install SQL*Plus. You can try Instant Client with SQL*Plus
                          from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winx64soft-089540.html
                          • 10. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                            EdStevens
                            user8816970 wrote:

I wanted to avoid installing the oracle database server on windows. I have successfully installed the client previously (on a different windows box) after having installed the server. Do I need to install the oracle database server on this box in order to install sqlplus?

Incidently, I'm running the lastest virtual box, the lastest oracle (11g2) and windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks,
                            Siegfried

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 21, 2012 1:01 PM
                            What is the actual name of the .zip file(s) you downloaded?
                            Is your Windows 32 or 64 bit? If 32, did you get the 32-bit client?
                            If the install even got started, there should be a log of what it did. Look for a directory called 'cfgtoollogs' somewhere.
                            You said clues are sparse, but sparse is more than you've given us. Did you read the 'readme' with the files you downloaded? Did you read the instructions on the web page from which you downloaded them? This installation is actually pretty dead simple if you just follow the instructions. I don't even bother with it at work. Just let a help desk guy who knows nothing about Oracle do it.
                            • 11. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                              EdStevens
                              sb92075 wrote:
                              user8816970 wrote:

OUI requires functioning X-Windows; which can be challenging when you don't know what you are doing.

If - as it appears - he's now trhying to install the client software on the Windows host, then x- isn't the issue.

• 12. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                                user8816970
                                I'm confused.
                                I thought that perhaps the problem with installing sqlplus as part of the client was that I needed to install the database server before the client.

So I tried to install the database server and I received similar symptoms:

No error messages! No window!

I rebooted and I started up cygwin/bash in administrator mode and grant execute permission: "chmod a+x setup.exe".

I tried using both cygwin/bash and cmd.exe and windows explorer in administrative mode to run the program.
                                Both cygwin/bash and cmd.exe returned no error messages and did nothing.

When I used windows explorer in administrative mode I (inconsistently) received the following dialog box (I also received this when trying to install the client's setup.exe) program:

Program Compatibility Assistant
                                This program might not have installed correctly.
                                If this program did not install correctly, try reinstalling using the settings that are compatible with this version of Windows.

(What does this mean?)

Then I have two options:
                                Reinstall using recommended settings
                                This program installed correct.

I chose the former and nothing append. These are the exact symptoms for client\setup.exe.

Shucks! This worked when I tried it in 2011 (or was it 2010?). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
                                Siegfried
                                P.S. I'm running windows 7 and I'm trying to install 11g

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 23, 2012 11:33 AM
                                • 13. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                                  EdStevens
                                  user8816970 wrote:
                                  I'm confused.
                                  I thought that perhaps the problem with installing sqlplus as part of the client was that I needed to install the database server before the client.
                                  You don't really "install sqlplus". You install either the database software or the client software. If you install the database software, you get the client software anyway. If you install the client software (includeing that which installs with the database software), you get sqlplus. its as simple as that.
                                  So I tried to install the database server and I received similar symptoms:
                                  In dealing with the virtual machine, you need to remember to treat it exactly as you would if it were a physical machine in your data center. It is running its own operating system, it has its own IP address and identity. When you connect to it with some ssh client , such as cygwin, ssh, putty, whatever, it is no different than if the vm were a physical machine sitting in a rack in a data center on the other side of the planet. You need to have a very firm understanding of exactly what is executing on the vm and what is executing on the host os.
                                  No error messages! No window!

I rebooted and I started up cygwin/bash in administrator mode and grant execute permission: "chmod a+x setup.exe".
                                  So what are you setting up? The vm or the host? The fact that you are using cygwin and issuing a chmod command says you are actually doing this on the VM. I thought you were trying to set up sqlplus (oracle client) on the host Windows OS.
                                  >
                                  I tried using both cygwin/bash and cmd.exe and windows explorer in administrative mode to run the program.

When I used windows explorer in administrative mode I (inconsistently) received the following dialog box (I also received this when trying to install the client's setup.exe) program:

Program Compatibility Assistant
                                  This program might not have installed correctly.
                                  If this program did not install correctly, try reinstalling using the settings that are compatible with this version of Windows.

(What does this mean?)

Then I have two options:
                                  Reinstall using recommended settings
                                  This program installed correct.

I chose the former and nothing append. These are the exact symptoms for client\setup.exe.

Shucks! This worked when I tried it in 2011 (or was it 2010?). What am I doing wrong?
                                  It sounds like the biggest thing you are doing wrong is not keeping clear in your mind what belongs to the vm and what belongs to the host (Windows) system.
                                  Thanks
                                  Siegfried
                                  P.S. I'm running windows 7 and I'm trying to install 11g

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 23, 2012 11:33 AM
                                  Let's start over from the beginning. Let's make sure your vm is correctly installed and configured. You should have something running ON YOUR WINDOWS HOST that allows you to establish a terminal session on the VM. I use putty, but I understand Cygwin has the capability for an ssh connection. Start a command session, logging on to the linux vm as user 'oracle' and issue these commands:
                                  id
                                  env|egrep 'ORA|PATH'|sort
                                  ps -ef|grep pmon
                                  There are other commands I will want to see, but I need to see the output of the above first. Please copy the entire session -- commands and full responses -- and past back in your next post.
                                  • 14. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
                                    you should not use cygwin to install apps in Windows. Just run setup from Windows Explorer or from command line. Win7 automatically assumes it will need admin rights when the file started is named setup or install. I am not sure if it does so when lounched from cygwin shell. Also cygwin shell sets its own environment that can override some Windows env variables.
                                    this is something weird. What exactly installation file are you trying to install? Please provide with link.
                                    also make sure your PATH variable has cygwin/bin at the end, or better does not have it, some libs and utils may be called same, i.e. find or ping.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next