This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 11:09 AM by 889421 RSS

Problem running database home page

889421 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I just installed OracleXE on a computer running windows small business server 2008. Everything installed just fine using the defaults, but when I try to access the database home page, I get a page cannot be displayed error. When I choose 'diagnose connection problems' on the error page, it tells me "'127.0.0.1' is not setup to establish a connection on port '8080' with this computer."

Has anybody else ran into this before?
  • 1. Re: Problem running database home page
    clcarter Expert
    anybody else ran into this before?
    Yes. Many times.

Perhaps the installer has not completed all its tasks, the database is not up, and/or the listener are not running. If the installer doesn't quite get your host particulars correct, Apex pages will not work.

Is the listener running? If its not running the Apex pages have no chance of working. In a command box, try:

lsnrctl status

If Apex is running you will see the presentation http entry for 8080 under the Endpoints. If that is not present, the "home page" is not going to work.

Step Two, is the database running, same thing, if the database is down there is no chance the Apex pages will work.

sqlplus /nolog
    connect system
    ... password ...
    Connected.
  • 2. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    I don't recall the installer saying anything was wrong. The listener is running, and according to windows the Oracle service is running, but when I try to login as system, I get the following:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA- 27101: shared memory realm does not exist.
  • 3. Re: Problem running database home page
    clcarter Expert
    Most likely installer didn't get to finish creating and starting up the database.

It Happens.

And usually installer won't give much indication when it does. There is a log file for the installer, but finding useful information in the installer log can be frustratingly difficult.

Try a startup in a command box:

sqlplus /nolog
    connect /as sysdba;
    ... connected to idle instance ...
    startup;
    ... -- will probably fail, usually it reports a controlfile problem ...

Try the uninstall steps at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#CIHDDHJD then give it another go.

And verify your NIC configuration. If you have a wireless adapter, VPN interface, virtual box network device, or other interfaces besides your "main" IP address in the Networks applet, disable them until after the installer completes.
  • 4. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    When I did the startup command, this is what it gave me:

ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
    ORA-01565: error in identifying file 'C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\serv
    er\dbs/spfileXE.ora'
    ORA-27041: unable to open file
    OSD-04002: unable to open file
    O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall today. The computer may very well have a wireless adapter - it's sitting in the spare bedroom at my lead developer's house, and I'm remoting into it. So if it fails a second time I may just have to let him handle it. :)

I'll let you know what happens - thanks for your assistance so far.
  • 5. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    Well, after uninstalling and re-installing, the database and tns listener were not even running. I think I may have to turn this one over to my lead dev - just because he's there and knows the box better than me.
  • 6. Re: Problem running database home page
    clcarter Expert
    Like it states in the documentation, "You must be part of the Administrators group on Windows to install Oracle Database XE." see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#BABIHEJC in the "Permission Requirement ..." section.

Check the local Administrators group, in Start/Run lusrmgr.msc the Local Users and Groups applet. The user running the installer has to be an admin, to set up the services and other tasks. If that requirement isn't satisfied the installer experience will be ... very unsatisfactory.

If you didn't get an ora-12560 protocol error with a connect /as sysdba; the windows database service was running. As far as the extra NIC adaptor, that can cause glitches for Apex but the database install and setup has to work first.
  • 7. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    Apparently I was not a network administrator - I was just a standard user with administrative links. So I changed myself to a network administrator (apparently one of my links gave me the authority to do that :) ) So then I uninstalled Oracle and re-installed it and... no luck - same issue.

It was an ORA-12560 error.
  • 8. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    Sorry - I let this thread drop because I put the project on the back burner.

Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing the problem?
  • 9. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    OK. so the computer I'm trying to install this on is also a domain controller. Could that be causing the issue?
  • 10. Re: Problem running database home page
    clcarter Expert
    is also a domain controller
    Guideline here, what does one do with the PDC and the backup DCs? Ensure they are Up. And Nothing Else.

The server admins ought to be rather upset at non-DC software installs on the DCs. Outside of ensuring the domain services stuff is running, nothing else should be happening to a DC. Yes, it would be good to find a different host for trying out XE (or any other software) ...
  • 11. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    I agree it would be a very dumb idea in any normal company, but we're very small - 3 guys. The domain controller is also the web server as well as test bed server. It's the latter usage where Oracle comes in. The user's are wanting to remote to the machine and run our app against Oracle in a test setting.
  • 12. Re: Problem running database home page
    889421 Newbie
    OK. Got it working. I looked at this link:

Re: 10g Express Edition on Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 x64 with Active Directory

I followed the tip for changing the compatibility for the installer and that seems to have done the trick.

But thanks so much for your time, my friend. I'll make sure I give you some points for effort. ;)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points