This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 7:08 PM by 776455 RSS

Apex listener images folder issue

776455 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi expert,

I'm newbies in oracle apex listener and would like to know more about oracle apex listener from all the expertise.
My situation is like that i would like to install apex listener (standalone mode) in a server to browser apex application from another server with oracle database 11g and oracle apex development.
My installation step as below;
1. I copy images folder from database server apex\images folder to apex listener installation folder before i install apex listener (called "apexlistener").
2. Run cmd "java -Dapex.home=c:\apexlistener -Dapex.images=c:\apexlistener\images -Dapex.port=8585 -Dapex.erase -jar c:\apexlistener\apex.war" to install apex listener.

Just a question, if i amended oracle apex application in database server, should i need to copy the images folder again to apex listener server?
What is the main source in images folder used in oracle apex listener server?
My experience is i tried to copy images folder from database server A with apex application (in runtime mode) to apexlistener folder server B. And i configure the database connection to server c with same oracle apex application as well. I tried to browser oracle apex application in server c from server B. I found out my apex application is not running properly due to the javascript is not installed properly. I would like to ask, is the images files in apex listener server must same with apex application server?

Anyone have idea on automatically start apex listener when the server reboots?
How to run apex listener in backend?

Hope can get some idea and solution from all the expertise!
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Apex Junior
  • 1. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,
    Too many questions, and too little input, for one post.
    I'm newbies in oracle apex listener and would like to know more about oracle apex listener from all the expertise.
    My situation is like that i would like to install apex listener (standalone mode) in a server to browser apex application from another server with oracle database 11g and oracle apex development.
    My installation step as below;
    1. I copy images folder from database server apex\images folder to apex listener installation folder before i install apex listener (called "apexlistener").
    2. Run cmd "java -Dapex.home=c:\apexlistener -Dapex.images=c:\apexlistener\images -Dapex.port=8585 -Dapex.erase -jar c:\apexlistener\apex.war" to install apex listener.

Just a question, if i amended oracle apex application in database server, should i need to copy the images folder again to apex listener server?
    >
    The images folder has a relation with the Apex Version installed on the database, not with the applications in the Apex.
    Depends on what you mean by amending applications. If you add custom CSS, JS ,etc to the application , and are not uploading the files to WORKSPACE_IMAGES, then you need to copy the external files to the images folder. But not copy it all over again.
    If no custom files then no need to copy the images folder.
    >
    What is the main source in images folder used in oracle apex listener server?
    >
    The images folder, what else?
    >
    My experience is i tried to copy images folder from database server A with apex application (in runtime mode) to apexlistener folder server B. And i configure the database connection to server c with same oracle apex application as well. I tried to browser oracle apex application in server c from server B. I found out my apex application is not running properly due to the javascript is not installed properly. I would like to ask, is the images files in apex listener server must same with apex application server?
    >
    As stated earlier, the contents of the images (/i/) folder are related to the Apex Version. If your two db servers have different versions of Apex then the same images folder will not work with both. It will work with only one, the one that has the Apex Version compatible with the images folder.
    >
    Anyone have idea on automatically start apex listener when the server reboots?
    >
    How to suggest without knowing OS?
    You can write a batch file that runs on bootup to achieve this.
    >
    How to run apex listener in backend?
    >
    What is backend? Do you means background or as a service?

Cheers,
  • 2. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    776455 Newbie
    Hi Prabodh,

Thanks for your reply.
    My database is running on window 7 with oracle database 11g R2. Just to double confirm, where is the correct path to get the images file?
    I do not need to copy the image file from database server to listener server if i uploaded css or js to workspace_image?
    Can i installed apex listener in PC without database installed?

About auto start apex listener. Current i created a batch file, create shortcut for batch file and make a copy to startup folder.
    So i work fine when system reboots.
    Just an issue how can i hidden the command to avoid user an accidently closed command.

Batch file as below;
    cd \
    java -Dapex.home=c:\apexlistener -Dapex.images=c:\apexlistener\images -Dapex.port=8585 -Dapex.erase -jar c:\apexlistener\apex.war

Thank you!
  • 3. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    Prabodh Guru
    My database is running on window 7 with oracle database 11g R2. Just to double confirm, where is the correct path to get the images file?
    Depends on the Edition? Use Windows Explorer to find the ...\apex\images under %ORACLE_HOME%. Or, in the Apex installable you used to install it, if you installed Apex.
    >
    I do not need to copy the image file from database server to listener server if i uploaded css or js to workspace_image?
    >
    Yes, you need to copy the images folder from the DB serverto the one that is running ApexListener, if they are different machines.
    WORKSPACE_IMAGES is only for, as the name suggests, for Workspace and Application specific files. Not equivalent of /i/
    >
    >
    Yes.
    >
    About auto start apex listener. Current i created a batch file, create shortcut for batch file and make a copy to startup folder.
    Just an issue how can i hidden the command to avoid user an accidently closed command.
    >
    1. Deploy ApexListener in a J2EE container. That is the right thing to do.
    2. Making a service out of it may not be simple. I have not tried it. You could try some of the techniques shown here.
    >
    Batch file as below;
    cd \
    java -Dapex.home=c:\apexlistener -Dapex.images=c:\apexlistener\images -Dapex.port=8585 -Dapex.erase -jar c:\apexlistener\apex.war>

Cheers,
  • 4. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    It can be anywhere. You have to configure your APEX Listener to use a path that contains the static contents ("images") that fit to the APEX version it shall host. If you are about to use the APEX version that shipped with your database, you may find these files among your database installation, depending on your actual database edition and installation procedure. The safest way would be to download the APEX installation package that corresponds to your APEX instance and use the "images" folder included in there.
    Right. Workspace images are always hosted by your database.
    Yes, APEX Listener can be installed on any machine. Just make sure firewall rules allow it to connect to the database listener that services the database instance that "carries" your APEX environment.
    Concerning your "Run as Service" question, you wouldn't even have to use google, as we have several threads on that issue here as well, e. g. {message:id=9606494}
    Despite that kind of "trick" for Standalone Mode, you may also want to think about deploying APEX Listener to a JEE container that comes with it's own service wrapper and other useful features you don't have in Standalone Mode.

-Udo
  • 5. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    776455 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Thanks for your reply and info.
    I'm now successfully setup apex listener on window server 2008. I able to browser my apex application from apex listener to database server. The performance is good.
    But now i having an issue on browser my apex application from my laptop to apex listener, then from apex listener to connect to database server. Unfortunately, the performance is bad.
    Too slow to browser a page.
    Can you advice on it, how can i improve my broswer performance?
    What setting can i do?
    The performance is good if i browser my apex application from my laptop to database server.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    I need the solution urgent.

Thanks
  • 6. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    Udo Guru
    Hi,
    I'm now successfully setup apex listener on window server 2008.
    I'm glad to hear that.
    But now i having an issue on browser my apex application from my laptop to apex listener, then from apex listener to connect to database server. Unfortunately, the performance is bad.
    So it basically works, but is seems to be slow. Hmm, how much time does a page take to render from your laptop and how much would it be for the same page on your server?
    Also, I'm not quite sure which service is running on which node in the slow scenario. Do you run APEX Listener on your Laptop, or are you trying to access the same APEX Listener installation (on your Windows Server 2008) and just access it from your laptop instead of browsing locally on your Windows Server?
    If it's the latter, than the question would be how your laptop is connected to the server? Could some bandwidth limitation cause that issue?
    And is your laptop able to render other pages (e.g. some regular web page) with satisfying performance at the same time the performance for the APEX page is bad?

-Udo
  • 7. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    776455 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Thanks again.
    Basically my flows is in this way. I installed oracle database 11g R2 with oracle apex 3.1 application on Window server 2008 standard (server A) and apex listener is installed on window server 2008 standard (server B). I will browser the apex application allocated at server A from my laptop thru apex listener.
    The time to browser apex page is slower than directly browser to server A. It will take about more than 30 second.

I tried to install apex listener in my own laptop and i browser apex application from server B thru apex listener on my laptop. Everything is running fine and fast.
    Do you have any idea or solution on it?
  • 8. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    Udo Guru
    The time to browser apex page is slower than directly browser to server A. It will take about more than 30 second.
    30 seconds, wow, this is a huge delay... Sounds like some network timeout, e.g. some issue with name resolution (DNS). Possibly your client PC doesn't have a valid entry in your domain. Try to add it to your DNS or at least to the hosts list of your server A and see if things change.

-Udo
  • 9. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    776455 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Many thanks for your reply!
    30 sec delay issue is solved.
    Now there are new issue coming from client side.
    My client pc is running in Window XP (with IE 8). When they browser apex application thru apex listener, the browsing performance is slower than window 7.
    If client browser apex application directly to database server (without go thru apex listener), the performance is good.

I'm curious to know, is there any setting or limitation on apex listener?
    What client pc requirement is need in order to browser apex application thru apex listener?
    Or can you advice, how can i improve the browsing performance for window XP?

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • 10. Re: Apex listener images folder issue
    776455 Newbie
    Hi Udo,

Thanks for your reply!
    i had solved 30 sec performance issue.
    Now there is another new issue coming from client side.
    My client pc is running in window XP (IE 8). When client browser apex application thru apex listener, the performance is slower than window 7.
    If client browser apex application directly from database server (Without go thru apex listener server), the performance is good as window 7.

So i'm curious to know, is there any limitation or setting need for client to access apex application thru apex listener?
    What is the client pc requirement need?
    Can you advice on it to improve browsing performance for window 7?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points