This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 2:38 PM by ChrisJenkins RSS

timesten memory configuration problem

964463 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hardware environment: mem: 4G

Software environment: system:windows 2003 32bit

my configuration: the timesten's permanent data size = 100; temporary data size =0

my problem:

(1)in my Computer,i only configuration timesten permanent data size 100M.if i configuration more than 100M.my Program is not connect to timesten.why?

(2)in my environment,the timesten permanent data size maximum value is how much, and what is the principle?

thank you !
  • 1. Re: timesten memory configuration problem
    jspalmer Journeyer
    What error is your program getting when it fails to connect to TimesTen?
  • 2. Re: timesten memory configuration problem
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi cafard.cn,
    (2)in my environment,the timesten permanent data size maximum value is how much, and what is the principle?
    In your configuration (windows 2003 32bit) the max size for permanent partition is about 1G (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/timesten/faq-091526.html)
    Other limits ( http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21901_01/doc/timesten.1122/e21643/limit.htm#BIIBAFJE)

Regards,
    Gennady
  • 3. Re: timesten memory configuration problem
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    Although in theory you can create a datastore of 1 GB or larger on 32-bit Windows in reality this may not be possible. Due to the poor way in which the process memory map is organised on 32-bit Windows you may well find (as indeed you have) that depending on the application environment the actual size you can achieve is much reduced. This is especially a problem for Java and .NET environments.

32-bit is really a 'legacy' environment now (for both Windows and Linux/Unix) and the best thing is to use a 64-bit OS and 64-bit TimesTen which avoids all these annoying issues.

Chris

Edited by: ChrisJenkins on Sep 26, 2012 10:38 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points