This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 10:59 AM by Swapan RSS

OBIEE Connection Pool and OLAP

Swapan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
What's the recommended way for making OBIEE refresh its connections (connection pool) to reflect the new aggregated data in the OLAP cubes after a cube refresh? After a cube refresh, the OBIEE reports potentially can still show the old data due to the connections in the connection pool having been created before the cube refresh. Our OBIEE site has high concurrent usage btw and setting the connection timeout to a low value won't work fully.

I am on 11.1.1.5.2 OBIEE and 11.2.0.3.3 OLAP DB.

Swapan.
  • 1. Re: OBIEE Connection Pool and OLAP
    AdamMartin Pro
    You might be talking about clearing the OBIEE server cache, not refreshing connections in the connection pool.

You can set the cache to expire after a configurable period of time. Also, one of the simplest ways to cause the cache to refresh after changes in the data is to set up event polling and then write records to an event table indicating what has changed.

A quick google search on OBIEE and event polling produces links like these:

http://gerardnico.com/wiki/dat/obiee/event_table
    http://navi-obiee.blogspot.com/2010/08/cache-purgingevent-polling-tables.html
    http://bintelligencegroup.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/event-polling-table-to-purge-the-cache-in-obiee/

Is this the type of thing you were looking for?
  • 2. Re: OBIEE Connection Pool and OLAP
    Swapan Newbie
    I am not talking of OBIEE Server cache. Actually, I have an SR (Bug#14104352) already open with Oracle on Event polling mechanism not working with AW's currently. Is Event Polling mechansim working for you with AW's?

This is related to the behavior of OLAP_TABLE being session based in general.

Swapan.
  • 3. Re: OBIEE Connection Pool and OLAP
    AdamMartin Pro
    Swapan wrote:
    I am not talking of OBIEE Server cache. Actually, I have an SR (Bug#14104352) already open with Oracle on Event polling mechanism not working with AW's currently. Is Event Polling mechansim working for you with AW's?

This is related to the behavior of OLAP_TABLE being session based in general.

Swapan.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. Event polling does work for us with AW objects, but only because we are using query rewrite. So we are inserting the base table names into the event table. You are probably hitting the cube directly, so you need actual AW objects for the event polling mechanism.

But I understand that you say event polling / BI cache is not the issue you are facing. But just to be sure, you are purging the cache after a cube update, right? Just to rule that out? I don't know how the prior cube data can otherwise be returned after a refresh of that cube.
  • 4. Re: OBIEE Connection Pool and OLAP
    Swapan Newbie
    We have a workaround in place to make sure that the older AW entries in the BI Server cache won't be used at all.

Swapan.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points