This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 7:48 AM by 964652 RSS

convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.

User201444 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I would need to covert my ZFS root file systems to UFS and boot from the other disk as a slice (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0)
I am ok to split the hard disk from root pool mirror. any ideas on how this can be acheived?
Please sugget. Thanks,
  • 1. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    Why would you want to do such a thing???

I suppose you could use liveupgrade to migrate back. You would have remove the disk from the rpool and create partitions (raw or SVM whichever you choose) and create a boot environment on it. Then activate said BE and reboot.
  • 2. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    cindys Pro
    You can use live upgrade to migrate a UFS BE to a ZFS BE, but no way exists
    to migrate a ZFS BE to a UFS BE using our existing tools. I tried to think of
    a backdoor kind of way but I'm not coming up with anything.

You'll need to detach one of the disks and install a UFS BE. Then, migrate
    whatever data is needed from the ZFS BE manually with tar or cpio.

Consider describing the ZFS issues that you are having and we can help
    resolve those.

Thanks, Cindy
  • 3. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    964652 Newbie
    I'm in the same boat. Need to convert ZFS root to UFS root.

Why?

Because of virtualization. I've been busy upgrading all our servers to Solaris 10 Update 10 with ZFS root.

Now I want to use Oracle Virtual Server and p2v the servers. Unfortunately the p2v software only supports UFS root filesystems.

Seems kind of strange to me that Oracle would limit the software like this.
  • 4. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    961649 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. Need to convert ZFS root to UFS root.

Why?

Because of virtualization. I've been busy upgrading all our servers to Solaris 10 Update 10 with ZFS root.

Now I want to use Oracle Virtual Server and p2v the servers. Unfortunately the p2v software only supports UFS root filesystems.
    I'm not buying that. From the Oracle OVM P2V documentation:

"... You can use the P2V tool to create virtual disks on plain files or ZFS volumes ..."

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19608-01/html/821-1485/ldomsp2vooverview.html
  • 5. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    964652 Newbie
    You cannot use ldmp2v to convert a system that has a ZFS root disk. It's not supported and does not work. You can use ZFS volumes for VM disks yes, but you cannot p2v a system using the ldmp2v tool if that system has a ZFS root.

In order to use ldmp2v, you have to have a UFS root. I've spoken to Oracle support and the reply is that there wasn't a demand for that functionality when the product was created. There is an CR to add it, but it's not high on the list.

We have a potential purchase of servers depending on the ability to virtualize some of our servers - all of which are Solaris 10 Update 10 with ZFS root. Oracle is working on a way to do it. One of the options is to figure out a method of converting ZFS back to UFS.
  • 6. Re: convert ZFS root file system to UFS with data.
    964652 Newbie
    from the same document that was quoted above in the Limitations section:

Limitations

Version 2.0 of the Oracle VM Server for SPARC P2V Tool has the following limitations:

Only UFS file systems are supported.

Only plain disks (/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0), Solaris Volume Manager metadevices (/dev/md/dsk/dNNN), and VxVM encapsulated boot disks are supported on the source system.

During the P2V process, each guest domain can have only a single virtual switch and virtual disk server. You can add more virtual switches and virtual disk servers to the domain after the P2V conversion.

Support for VxVM volumes is limited to the following volumes on an encapsulated boot disk: rootvol, swapvol, usr, var, opt, and home. The original slices for these volumes must still be present on the boot disk. The P2V tool supports Veritas Volume Manager 5.x on the Solaris 10 OS. However, you can also use the P2V tool to convert Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 operating systems that use VxVM.

You cannot convert Solaris 10 systems that are configured with zones.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points