This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 7:35 PM by 585321 RSS

Oracle 11g OCA certification

585321 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am newbie .I would like to know a good book for Oracle 11g OCA certification ,1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052(with lesser number of mistakes).Appreciate a response.
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    sb92075 Guru
    user 8980 wrote:
    I am newbie .I would like to know a good book for Oracle 11g OCA certification ,1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052(with lesser number of mistakes).Appreciate a response.
    Handle:     user 8980
    Status Level:     Newbie (5)
    Total Posts:     519
    Total Questions:     44 (42 unresolved)

newbie still after 5+ years?
    why so many unanswered questions?
    Appreciate a response.
    so would we!
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    user 8980 wrote:
    In general, any market book can be warranted against the errors. So if you are going ahead to purchase, its just going to be the case that you have to compare the content with the oracle documentation. If that's not what you want to do, the best book to prepare would be from Oracle University only but for that, you would need to enroll for the course with either OU or with some partner of it.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: There is dedicated certification forum that you may want to go for the future questions related to certification.
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=45

Aman....
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    I can tell you from personal experience that it is extraordinarily difficult to write a technical book with zero defects. Spell-checkers and grammar checkers produce huge numbers of false positives when looking for standard (i.e. non technical) errors. Technical errors are easy to introduce -- forget to add a 'Not' in a sentence, or something similar -- and hard to detect afterward. When I read through my study guides looking for errors, I tend to see what I meant to write.

That said, such defects are normally a tiny fraction of the information contained within certification manuals. A couple of reviews on the Oracle Press 1Z0-052 book written by John Watson mention a couple of errors and then imply the book is filled with more. I've read the book and it is very informative. It contains hundreds of pieces of information and contains about ten errors -- all mentioned in the errata on the McGraw Hill site. The books is good preparation for the text and for learning the basics of being an Oracle DBA.

As Aman indicated, using more than one source is a good way to help to detect inaccuracies. I believe in always using multiple sources and the documentation is generally a good option for that.
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    585321 Newbie
    Handle:     user 8980
    Status Level:     Newbie (5)
    Total Posts:     519
    Total Questions:     44 (42 unresolved)
    newbie still after 5+ years?
    why so many unanswered questions?

Hi sb92075 -
    The above data should have made some sense.I started oracle 10g and left it 4 or 5 yrs back and moved to SQL.
    I wanted to start over Oracle all over again from scratch.Appreciate if you can help me find a good source to start Oracle 11g for OCA.
    Thanks

Edited by: user 8980 on Sep 26, 2012 7:57 PM
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    585321 Newbie
    Thanks Aman.
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11g OCA certification
    585321 Newbie
    Thanks Mathew

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points