This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 9:25 AM by Todd Little RSS

TSAM to monitor process failures

user10290371 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I would like to monitor with TSAM when a process fails.

Environment:
Tuxedo 11gr! with TSAM on OEL

Testcase:
- System is up and running
- In TSAM console everything is green
- I kill some processes (kill -9) to simulate process failures
- tuxedo will restart the processes
- I expect that due to the fast restart in the TSAM console everything will stay green - which ich basically ok

What I want is that I can track these failures in some way. I played around with policies and alerts but so far I did not find the right way to monitor these event

Any hint is highly appreciated

Thanks
Martin
  • 1. Re: TSAM to monitor process failures
    Todd Little Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Martin,

A couple of things. First, you are probably aware that a kill -9 causes the process to exit without executing any exit handlers, thus Tuxedo doesn't know the process terminated. It won't be until the next BB scan that the dead process is detected and restarted.

Now on to your TSAM question/issue, I don't think TSAM 11gR1 has any means of alerting for server failures. The closest would be to enable service monitoring and catch any failed requests and report those as alerts. In TSAM12c we have integrated TSAM with Oracle Enterprise Manager, and OEM would allow you to alert on a server failure as a server is modeled as a target in OEM.

Alternatively, depending upon what you want to happen when a server fails, you could use the Tuxedo event broker and subscribe to the system events associated with a server dying and being restarted, but that would be outside TSAM, yet still allow you to take some action based upon those events occurring.

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points