This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 10:32 AM by santoshkbh Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    829559 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    OK, I have the VM working for [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html]. I have installed my sample database code that I downloaded for the 3rd Ed of SQL Pocket Guide and I have executed a query from Oracle SQL Developer.

Now, since we are not making much progress on installing the windows client for oracle database, I'd like to try that suggestion to run squirrel instead.

So, I'm running squirrel on windows to execute queries on the oracle database on my linux guest.

What database driver jar file do I want to download and put in my path for squirrel?
    Which JDBC driver do I want to use?

I'm getting a class not found error after having downloaded ojdbc6dms_g.jar and put it in the extra class path for the Oracle Thin Driver.

Is this the right jar file? If not, which jar should I be using? Is using the Oracle Thin Driver the correct driver?

Thanks!
    Siegfried
  • 16. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    EdStevens Guru
    user8816970 wrote:
    OK, I have the VM working for [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html]. I have installed my sample database code that I downloaded for the 3rd Ed of SQL Pocket Guide and I have executed a query from Oracle SQL Developer.

Now, since we are not making much progress on installing the windows client for oracle database, I'd like to try that suggestion to run squirrel instead.
    I'd like to suggest that we get your Oracle client installed correctly. Now that we know that you have your vm configured and working, we can set that aside and focus on a client installation on your windows host. Until now, all efforts in that direction were hampered by the fact we never knew exactly which machine we were dealing with.

So, I'm running squirrel on windows to execute queries on the oracle database on my linux guest.

What database driver jar file do I want to download and put in my path for squirrel?
    Which JDBC driver do I want to use?

I'm getting a class not found error after having downloaded ojdbc6dms_g.jar and put it in the extra class path for the Oracle Thin Driver.

Is this the right jar file? If not, which jar should I be using? Is using the Oracle Thin Driver the correct driver?

Thanks!
    Siegfried
    This is an oracle forum. If you want help with someone else's product, you'll need to go to their site.
  • 17. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    829559 Newbie
    Well, OK, we can work on the oracle client.

However, I an confident the problem I am having with squirrel is with the oracle jdbc drivers. There are so many to choose from on the download page for oracle ( [http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-112010-090769.html|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-112010-090769.html] ) it is confusing. Perhaps I will pursue that in a different posting then.

OK, back to oracle sql client database!

I have downloaded

Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
         Download      win32_11gR2_client.zip (684,581,290 bytes)

at

[http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win32soft-098987.html]

I unzipped it and ran setup.exe as I previously explained. I did this both with the linux vm running and with it shut down. No luck either way. I tried it with and without administrator mode. No luck.

I've already described the symptoms: Mostly no error messages. See the earlier post for the one "error" message I have received.

As I explained previously, I also tried to install the windows oracle database server first thinking the problem was that this needed to be installed first. This gave the same symptoms: no error messages.

Here is what I tried to download and install (the download succeeded fine):
    Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
         Download      win32_11gR2_database_1of2.zip (1,625,721,289 bytes)
         Download      win32_11gR2_database_2of2.zip (631,934,821 bytes)

Thanks!
    Siegfried

Edited by: user8816970 on Sep 27, 2012 9:03 AM
  • 18. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    jgarry Guru
    The forum software for inserting a link is borked, to post a link use the syntax described for external links in the FAQ on the upper right - {noformat}[url http://www.hatever.yourlinkis]describe your link{noformat}. Then use the Preview tab to be sure it looks right before posting. Or you can just post a naked link, which makes sense if people are asking to see the exact link, or if it is named explicitly enough to tell what it is.

Could be you have leftover garbage from the previous installations. Others can describe how to clean that up better than me, but look in the Windows registry for Oracle homes, and check for anything Oracle related in system environment variables.
  • 19. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    EdStevens Guru
    jgarry wrote:
    The forum software for inserting a link is borked, to post a link use the syntax described for external links in the FAQ on the upper right - {noformat}[url http://www.hatever.yourlinkis]describe your link{noformat}. Then use the Preview tab to be sure it looks right before posting. Or you can just post a naked link, which makes sense if people are asking to see the exact link, or if it is named explicitly enough to tell what it is.
    Could be you have leftover garbage from the previous installations. Others can describe how to clean that up better than me, but look in the Windows registry for Oracle homes, and check for anything Oracle related in system environment variables.
    Had to do this just yesterday on a bad client installation. When dealing with a problematic client install, I don't spend much time diagnosing what went wrong or why, I just rip it out by the roots.
    1) delete any and all directories named 'oracle' or any slight variant. Looking at my own desktop right now, I see the following:
    - c:\app\oracle
    - c:\users\estevens\.oracle
    - c:\users\estevens\oracle
    ( I think those in - c:\users\estevens are a vestige of a failed install by corporate tech support when they built my machine. I've since re-installed and apparently failed to get rid of those. By default, that's where oracle wants to install the client, but that can be problematic, especially if the path has spaces in it)

2) open regedit and go to HKLM\software\oracle. Don't delete it YET
    2.1) go through every branch of HKLM\software\oracle, and note any references to any directories. Delete all directories mentioned here if they haven't already.
    2.2) delete HKLM\software\oracle
    2.3) go to HKLM/odbc\odbcinst.ini
    2.4) delete any references to Oracle drivers
    2.5) you may have other references the ODBC tree, if you have actually configured any ODBC dsn's. Delete any related to Oracle
    2.6) go to HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services. Delete any Oracle services.

You have now eradicated oracle from the machine and should have nothing left to interfere with a good clean install.
    I've done this so many times I no longer need a checklist. I know the route as well as I know the route from my home to my office.
  • 20. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    jgarry Guru
    Dang you're good. Put it on your blog.

Could it have the symptoms the OP sees? I was thinking he got a new Oracle home and was trying to use an older one, but I'm not up on the current stuff. I still keep thinking there is a home selector, but I don't even know anymore, been too long.
  • 21. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    EdStevens Guru
    jgarry wrote:
    Dang you're good. Put it on your blog.
    Good idea. I'm way overdue for something new.
    Could it have the symptoms the OP sees? I was thinking he got a new Oracle home and was trying to use an older one, but I'm not up on the current stuff. I still keep thinking there is a home selector, but I don't even know anymore, been too long.
    I can't remember the last time I actually laid eyes on the 'home selector'.
  • 22. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    You have now eradicated oracle from the machine and should have nothing left to interfere with a good clean install.
    Good list of actions.
    you should also add cleanup of PATH env var :)
  • 23. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    EdStevens Guru
    user11181920 wrote:
    Good list of actions.
    you should also add cleanup of PATH env var :)
    Yep. And to reduce the amount of mucking around in the registry, probably should start with useing the odbcadmin tool to delete any dsn's that use the Oracle drivers. That will do some cleanup before getting to the registry.
  • 24. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    What exactly your Windows is? Edition, Service Pack and System Type.
  • 25. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Ed

There are a cpl of MOS Docs that deal with this topic

11.2: How to Manually Remove Oracle Server Software on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 1069034.1]
    WIN: How to Remove a Single ORACLE_HOME and Its Traces on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 208256.1]
    WIN: Manually Removing all Oracle Components on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 124353.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 26. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    I have Win7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit. Default language is English.
    I am a member of local Administrators group.

Downloaded Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
    Download win32_11gR2_client.zip (684,581,290 bytes)

Unzipped with Winzip and installed using "Administrator" (with all admin tools) option.
    Into custom path C:\Oracle\ where it created Oracle home client_1 C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1

Checkup has failed for following items with no values:
    Physical Memory
    Free Space of %TEMP%
    Architecture
    Environment variable PATH

I selected "Ignore All" and then English only language, and successfully installed the software.
    Both SQL*Developer and SQL*Plus are included. As well as other stuff that I rarely use.

on which stage your setup fails?
  • 27. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    EdStevens Guru
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    Ed

There are a cpl of MOS Docs that deal with this topic

11.2: How to Manually Remove Oracle Server Software on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 1069034.1]
    WIN: How to Remove a Single ORACLE_HOME and Its Traces on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 208256.1]
    WIN: Manually Removing all Oracle Components on Microsoft Windows Platforms [ID 124353.1]

HTH
    Srini
    Yep. It's just been so long since I've needed to reference them. After a few iterations, it just came down to 1) delete the registry keys 2) delete the directories.
    I'll re-read them to see if there's anything I've forgotten. I seem to forget a lot lately.
  • 28. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    jgarry Guru
    I was going to say something about not having correct/complete info in some of those notes, but it's been so long I'm not sure, and they may have been fixed or just old decremented notes had issues, I didn't want to say it out loud. And of course, no idea about W7 specific issues, if any.
  • 29. Re: How to run sqlplus on windows7 host to execute oracle database on linux?
    829559 Newbie
    EdStevens wrote:
    Had to do this just yesterday on a bad client installation. When dealing with a problematic client install, I don't spend much time diagnosing what went wrong or why, I just rip it out by the roots.
    1) delete any and all directories named 'oracle' or any slight variant. Looking at my own desktop right now, I see the following:
    - c:\app\oracle
    - c:\users\estevens\.oracle
    - c:\users\estevens\oracle
    ( I think those in - c:\users\estevens are a vestige of a failed install by corporate tech support when they built my machine. I've since re-installed and apparently failed to get rid of those. By default, that's where oracle wants to install the client, but that can be problematic, especially if the path has spaces in it)
    >
    >

OK, I did that and did not find any such files.
    EdStevens wrote:
    2) open regedit and go to HKLM\software\oracle. Don't delete it YET
    2.1) go through every branch of HKLM\software\oracle, and note any references to any directories. Delete all directories mentioned here if they haven't already.
    2.2) delete HKLM\software\oracle
    >

Whoa! Do I need to uninstall JavaFX and VirtualBox? I see those keys in my HKLM\software\oracle. Don't those have legitimate entries in HKLM\software\oracle?

Thanks
    Siegfried

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points