This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2012 3:33 AM by 744969 RSS

Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup

Vicky1 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
While creating a new diskgroup, can I name a disk in "former" state to this new diskgroup ??

oracle 11.2.0.1
  • 1. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Short answer is Yes.

Disks eligible to be assigned to a diskgroup must have the status "CANDIDATE" or "FORMER" or "PROVISIONED".

· CANDIDATE - Disk is not part of a disk group and may be added to a disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement

· PROVISIONED - Disk is not part of a disk group and may be added to a disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement. The PROVISIONED header status is different from the
    CANDIDATE header status in that PROVISIONED implies that an additional platform-specific action has been taken by an administrator to make the disk available for ASM.

· FORMER - Disk was once part of a disk group but has been dropped cleanly from the group. It may be added to a new disk group with the ALTER DISKGROUP statement.

You don't need change anything on OS Level. Oracle will reuse asmdisk dropped without needs perform any administrative task on OS Level.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Sep 27, 2012 3:21 PM
  • 2. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    rajeysh Guru
    no you cannot

you need to format it and make it as candidate disk to use it.

use dd command to format disk

oracleasm deletedisk and create a disk using oracleasm createdisk command.

example:-
    Overwrite the header for the relevant partitions using the "dd" command.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1024 count=100

Remove and create the ASM disk for each partition.

# /etc/init.d/oracleasm deletedisk DATA /dev/sdb1
    # /etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk DATA /dev/sdb1
  • 3. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Rajeysh,

Disk with FORMER state are disk eligible to be assigned a Diskgroup.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/server.112/e10820/dynviews_1022.htm
  • 4. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    Vicky1 Newbie
    Levi
    Agreed, disk with "FORMER" status can be added to a diskgroup using alter diskgroup command.

No my question is , when i use the command create diskgroup, can I add this disk with former status ?
    Rajeysh,
    I might agree with you.
  • 5. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    While creating a new diskgroup, can I name a disk in "former" state to this new diskgroup ??
    No my question is , when i use the command create diskgroup, can I add this disk with former status ?
    I understood your question and already answered: Yes.

(Disks eligible to be assigned to a diskgroup must have the status "CANDIDATE" or "FORMER" or "PROVISIONED")

Does not matter if is command ALTER or CREATE diskgroup the DISK is eligible with one of this state above.

PS: FORMER state is just a warning that you removed that disk from a diskgroup and if you reuse it will be impossible to recover any data on that disk.
    Despite that there is no option to add the disk back in diskgroup and recover that data ... maybe Oracle Support may be able to recover them, because when disk is removed only header of DISK is changed, Oracle does not format the disk.

Levi Pereira
  • 6. Re: Add disk in "former" state to new diskgroup
    744969 Explorer
    Yes Agree with Levi,

you can add the disk to diskgroup if its status is FORMER, CANDIDATE OR PROVISIONED.

thnx.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points