This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 6:02 PM by user437657 RSS

doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1

960341 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

We are currently on 11.5.10.2 with 11.1.0.7.0 database.
Its a two node configuration. node A has database & node B has MT services.
We are planning to perform upgrade to R12.1.1

Doubt :
---------
When we run rapidwiz (pre-upgrade step), to create R12 file system, I believe it also lays down the new database Oracle home.
In the rapidwiz screen, should I give the exisiting database details (i.e, base_path, SID , port etc ) ? If yes, will the rapidwiz overwrites the existing Oracle home ?
  • 1. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    When we run rapidwiz (pre-upgrade step), to create R12 file system, I believe it also lays down the new database Oracle home.
    R12 software will lay down 11gR1 database (11.1.0.7) so if you want to use this version then you have to run Rapid Install on the database tier node first.

However, it is always recommended you upgrade to the latest database version before you upgrade to R12 -- Interoperability Notes Oracle EBS 11i with Oracle Database 11gR2 (11.2.0) [ID 881505.1]
    In the rapidwiz screen, should I give the exisiting database details (i.e, base_path, SID , port etc ) ?
    Yes
    If yes, will the rapidwiz overwrites the existing Oracle home ?
    You need to lay down the new database software in a new ORACLE_HOME. If you choose to upgrade the database to 11.2.0.3 before upgrading to R12 then you can skip the step of laying down and 11gR1 (11.1.0.7 ORACLE_HOME).

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    960341 Newbie
    Hi Hussein,

You mentioned that I should create a new ORACLE_HOME for the new software which would be configured by rapidwiz; at the same time, you mentioned that I should give the base_path details of the existing database. ( NOTE : my current DB is already on 11.1.0.7 ).

My question is : during rapidwiz, If I give the base_path details of the existing database, then I assume that the rapidwiz will overwrite the current database software. So, Should I give a new base_path in the rapidwiz ?

2. As my database is already at 11.1.0.7, If I prefer not to create a new Oracle home, can I do that & if yes, how to do it.
  • 3. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    960341 Newbie
    Hi Hussein,

You mentioned that I should create a new ORACLE_HOME for the new software which would be configured by rapidwiz; at the same time, you mentioned that I should give the base_path details of the existing database. ( NOTE : my current DB is already on 11.1.0.7 ).

My question is : during rapidwiz, If I give the base_path details of the existing database, then I assume that the rapidwiz will overwrite the current database software. So, Should I give a new base_path in the rapidwiz ?

2. As my database is already at 11.1.0.7, If I prefer not to create a new Oracle home, can I do that & if yes, how to do it.
  • 4. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    user437657 Newbie
    Hi Hussein,

Can you please help me in the following:
    We are not using HR, but using shared HR, For upgrading to 12.1.1. from 10.5.10.2 , is it necessary to apply HR patch 6699770 and its pre-req 1)-4444880, 2)-3995315,
    3)-3500000

Regards
    Asad
  • 5. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1

If you want to keep the same database (11.1.0.7), then provide the name of the existing database. If you want to upgrade to 11gR2, then lay down the new ORACLE_HOME and complete the database upgrade then use this new name when running Rapid Install.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    Hi Asad,
    Can you please help me in the following:
    We are not using HR, but using shared HR, For upgrading to 12.1.1. from 10.5.10.2 , is it necessary to apply HR patch 6699770 and its pre-req 1)-4444880, 2)-3995315,
    3)-3500000
    It is not necessary but it is recommended.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 7. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    user437657 Newbie
    Hi,

I have one more question.

For upgrading from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.1 , at the time of running rapidwiz, do I need to run installer using root user or appl user ?

Thanks
  • 8. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1

For upgrading from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.1 , at the time of running rapidwiz, do I need to run installer using root user or appl user ?
    As root (if you use multi-user, applmgr for apps tier node and oracle for db tier node).

If you have one user who owns all the application/db tier nodes then run it as that user.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 9. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    960341 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:

As root (if you use multi-user, applmgr for apps tier node and oracle for db tier node).

If you have one user who owns all the application/db tier nodes then run it as that user.

Thanks,
    Hussein
    Hi Hussein,

if we have database on node A & MT on node B, Shall we first run rapidwiz on database node as root user & then run the rapidwiz again on MT node as root user ?
    If the above is incorrect, pls help me.

I'm quoting the following from R12 install/upgrade guide :
    page 1-2, R12 install/upgrade guide:
    If you are installing in an environment where different machines are used to support
    the database and Applications tiers (as is typically the case), you would run Rapid
    Install on each machine in turn, starting with the database machine. For example, you
    might have three machines: one for the database tier and two for the Applications tier.
    So you would run Rapid Install a total of three times, once on each machine. In a
    multi-node environment that uses a shared application tier file system, you must run
    Rapid Install on the primary Applications node first. If you are using a non-shared
    application tier file system, the order in which you run Rapid Install on the
    Applications nodes does not matter.
    Regards
  • 10. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    if we have database on node A & MT on node B, Shall we first run rapidwiz on database node as root user & then run the rapidwiz again on MT node as root user ?
    What is the version of the database you have on Node A? If it is the latest (11.2.0.3) then you do not need to run Rapid Install on that node, and just run it on the MT node as root user.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 11. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    960341 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    What is the version of the database you have on Node A? If it is the latest (11.2.0.3) then you do not need to run Rapid Install on that node, and just run it on the MT node as root user.

Thanks,
    Hussein
    Hi Hussein,

My current DB version is 11.1.0.7 & we do not wish to upgrade our database. Our plan is to upgrade the EBS from 11.5.10.2 to 12.1.3 using the existing database.

Q1. Can I just run the rapidwiz on MT (node B) to laydown R12 file system as root user ?

Q2. Is 11.1.0.7 compatible with R12.1.3 ?
  • 12. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    Q1. Can I just run the rapidwiz on MT (node B) to laydown R12 file system as root user ?
    Yes, since Rapid Install delivers the same database version, there is no point in running it on the db tier node.
    Q2. Is 11.1.0.7 compatible with R12.1.3 ?
    Yes, it is. You can find the same from (MOS > Certification tab).

Thanks,
    Husssein
  • 13. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    user437657 Newbie
    1)- I am upgrading to r12 from 11.5.10.2,
    2)- we are already on 11gr2,
    3)-My $ORACLE_HOME = /u01/oracle/testdb/11.2.0

My question is what would be the values of the following on rapidwiz installer:

1)- Base directory value on dbtier
    2)-Base directory value on appstier

Regards
  • 14. Re: doubt on upgrade from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1
    My question is what would be the values of the following on rapidwiz installer:

1)- Base directory value on dbtier
    2)-Base directory value on appstier
    Type the directory name where you want to lay down your application tier node files (i.e. /oracle, /oracle/product, /oracle/PROD, ..etc).

Thanks,
    Hussein
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points