This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 8:27 PM by 420678 RSS

Oracle Standby Database

889124 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle 11g R2 Windows 2008

Right, I have two databases on two different servers that are currently identical in regards to data. At the moment, the databases are currently open but would like to turn one of the into a standby database.

The problem I have is both of these Db are Standard Edition so I can't use features like data guard / streams so can anybody suggest how I can turn one of these current db's into a standby db. I personally think the only way is to do this is via moving over the archive logs from one db to the other one and re applying them to the second db but I would like to know the steps I have to take to do this.

Any help / assistance would be great !!

Edited by: JamesW on Sep 27, 2012 4:34 AM

Edited by: JamesW on Sep 27, 2012 4:35 AM

Edited by: JamesW on Sep 27, 2012 4:35 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle Standby Database
    Balazs Papp Expert
    The problem I have is both of these Db are Standard Edition so I can't use features like data guard / streams
    data guard: no, streams: yes
    so can anybody suggest how I can turn one of these current db's into a standby db. I personally think the only way is to do this is via moving over the archive logs from one db to the other one and re applying them to the second db but I would like to know the steps I have to take to do this.
    1. take backup of primary
    2. restore backup on standby
    3. recover database on standby, and leave in MOUNT state
    4. copy archivelogs from primary to standby
    5. recover standby using the new archivelogs, and leave in MOUNT state
    6. goto 4.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Standby Database
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    If you want to create manual dataguard this link will help

Create standby database on 11gR2 standard edition one
  • 3. Re: Oracle Standby Database
    N K Pro
    Check out this link:

www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3682421/Manual-Standby-Database-under-Oracle-Standard-Edition.htm
  • 4. Re: Oracle Standby Database
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

This question already covered at below notes:
    Alternative for standby database in standard edition [ID 333749.1]
    Data Guard and Oracle Standard Edition [ID 305360.1]

PS: Please dont forget to change thread status to answered if it possible when u belive your thread has been answered, it pretend to lose time of other forums user while they are searching open question which is not answered,thanks for understanding

Regard
    Helios
  • 5. Re: Oracle Standby Database
    420678 Newbie
    If you are running Oracle Standard Edition (SE) and would like to have a standby database there are 2 options:
    1. Do it your self as suggested by the others in the forum
    2. Use a third party product such as Dbvisit Standby. These products offer some nice Data Guard features such as graceful switchover, archive log gap reporting, creating the standby database and easy failover.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points