This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 7:04 AM by Helios-GunesEROL RSS

11gR2 installation doubt

940748 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Oracle Database version: 11.2.0.2 / sparc / 64bit.
Os Version: Solaris 10 with update 6(or more).

Requirement:
OS backup (without Oracle binary/software and database) will be taken from existing server.
The server will be "zoned"(container or may call virtual machine).
The backup will be restored on the vm; all database related mount point will be there.
Installation of same Oracle software and creation of test database.

Scenario:
Before starting oracle installation i am on an OS in which the oracle software was previously installed. But the software files/binaries are not present. I am just putting the software again through installation. Now all the prerequisites are met and oracle project/user/group is already there as os is backed up from previous working setup.

Question:
What should i take care for this installation?
Is it will be a simple installation just running the runinstaller?

Please help guys....

Regards,
GC
  • 1. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    940748 Newbie
    please help guys......
  • 2. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;
    Scenario:
    Before starting oracle installation i am on an OS in which the oracle software was previously installed. But the software files/binaries are not present. I am just putting the software again through installation. Now all the prerequisites are met and oracle project/user/group is already there as os is backed up from previous working setup.

Question:
    What should i take care for this installation?
    Is it will be a simple installation just running the runinstaller?
    Please make me clear, Do you have oracle binary on this server or not? That server has any Oracle product or not?

Regard
    Helios
  • 3. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    940748 Newbie
    the os(Solaris 10) is not a fresh installed os. it is a os backup from other machine where oracle 11.2.0.2 was installed. They are restoring this backup on a vm. the mount point will be the same but it will be empty for oracle binary and database.

all i need to do to again install 11.2.0.2. and create a test database.

now, is it will be a simple installation of oracle software?

the point is as the same version oracle was installed on the os (as it is os backup of a machine where oracle was installed). so, should i need to modify any files (may be in /var/opt/oracle or /etc) or i can install the software straight forward. Well i think project/oracle user/group/.profile setting will be present and i need to confirm the ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_BASE exists.
  • 4. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    Hi;
    the os(Solaris 10) is not a fresh installed os. it is a os backup from other machine where oracle 11.2.0.2 was installed. They are restoring this backup on a vm. the mount point will be the same but it will be empty for oracle binary and database.
    If you restore your OS than your 11.2.0.2 home and also datafiles should come back , anyway..
    all i need to do to again install 11.2.0.2. and create a test database.
    now, is it will be a simple installation of oracle software?
    the point is as the same version oracle was installed on the os (as it is os backup of a machine where oracle was installed). so, should i need to modify any files (may be in /var/opt/oracle or /etc) or i can install the software straight forward. Well i think project/oracle user/group/.profile setting will be present and i need to confirm the ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_BASE exists.
    1. If the your old ORACLE_HOME is empty than you can use that old mount point or You can create new one
    2. under /var/opt/oracle or /etc remane oraInst.loc, oratab,oraInventory
    3. Start installation

Regard
    Helios
  • 5. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    940748 Newbie
    Thanks......

they have taken backup of os/filesystem structures but not datafiles and oracle binaries. that's why installation is needed.

What to change in oraInventory?
  • 6. Re: 11gR2 installation doubt
    Hi;

You dont need to change something.OUI will handle all for you, just rename those files such as :

mv oraInventory oracInventory_old etc.. and start Installation(./runInstaller)

Regard
    Helios

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points