This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2012 10:23 PM by 940748 RSS

Cold backup restore on fail safe environment.

940748 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

The setup:
Windows 2008 with 2 node MSCS cluster in active/passive configuration.
Oracle Database 11.1.0.6 .
Oracle Failsafe 3.4.2
Database :test database; 2 in no. ,both Single instance. Both database are created with cold backup from production.

The Requirement:
To refresh both the test database with cold backup from the same production database as before. And then with the same cold backup create a physical standby database of the newly recreated testing database.

The Plan:
1.take all dbfile,controlfile,redologfiles,standbyredologfiles,tempfiles backup from production.
2.after taking the testing database offline from failsafe and normaly starting on node1; restore dbfile,controlfiles,redologs,srl,tempfiles to testing server. spfile should be properly pointing the new controlfile.
3.startup mount.
4.directory structure for control,redo,srl,dbfiles,tempfiles are diffrent.so,rename file for all dbfiles,redologs,srl,tempfiles.
5.creating a standby controlfile for creating physical standby db of this testing database.
6.open the database.
7.shutdown immediate.
8.start with failsafe.

The doubt:
1. is this plan ok for refresh of the test databases?
2. with the backup taken at step1 and standby ctl file created at step 5 can i create a physical standby database of the testing db?

Please note, the production database is only in picture while taking backup.

Please guys help me for clearing the said doubts.

regards.
g
  • 1. Re: Cold backup restore on fail safe environment.
    CKPT Guru
    The doubt:
    1. is this plan ok for refresh of the test databases?
    2. with the backup taken at step1 and standby ctl file created at step 5 can i create a physical standby database of the testing db?
    Please note, the production database is only in picture while taking backup.
    You are taking cold backup, So the mentioned procedure you can follow. But ensure all the services/background processes related to database are not running.
    Once you prepare Primary database, even from that database you can create standby control file, so that it will be used for standby database.

But i'm not aware of how fail safe it works, As per the core database part whatever the steps you mentioned, it looks fine.

Thank You.
  • 2. Re: Cold backup restore on fail safe environment.
    saurabh Pro
    you procedure is ok only in step 3 you need to do is startup nomount for the standby database. As you want to restore a standby controlfile created on production.

1. this plan is ok to refresh your test database.

2. Yes you can use the coldbackup in step 1 for creating a standby database.
  • 3. Re: Cold backup restore on fail safe environment.
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    6.open the database.
    7.shutdown immediate.
    Once you open the backup, it diverges from the primary. You can't use this opened database to build a standby for the primary.

Why do you think you need to open the database ?

What are the failsafe steps ? How does it work ?

Hemant K Chitale
  • 4. Re: Cold backup restore on fail safe environment.
    940748 Newbie
    Actually my goal is to create a standby database for the newly restored database. So opening is ok.

The database that i am going refresh with cold backup is configured in active/passive mode with oracle fail safe. So that i took offline it with fail safe and then started normally; like starting the service and then start and shutdown with sqlplus.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points