This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 7:02 AM by Marcus Tavares RSS

Why is Oracle Client needed?

961240 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

May I know why do I need to install Oracle client in another desktop, whereby other desktop without installing Oracle Client and PeopleSoft Client, they also can access into the URL.
  • 1. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    +(still on your Oracle client ??)+
    For administration and development purpose, if you need Application Designer and/or DataMover then you most likely need an Oracle client.
    The frontend application (reachable within URL in your browser) is only the the business people.
    This has nothing to do with each other.

That said, according to your past threads, I strongly believe you need to take some time to understand the general Peoplesoft architecture. Asking question over here won't enough.

Nicolas.
  • 2. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    961240 Newbie
    Do you mean by reading manual guide or go for the course? So do you mean that with Oracle client, I am able to design it? Do you mean that?
  • 3. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    Do you mean by reading manual guide or go for the course?
    I don't know your background, but abviously not Peoplesoft. I don't know where you are from and the comany you are working for. I don;t know what the company you are working for is expecting from you, but they must understand that you need much more help than asking on a forum for learning. Do they realize that ? Could be very uncomfortable situation for you doing something one something you don't know...

Without Oracle client, you cannot access to the database. Without acces to the database, you cannot run sql (if you do customization - new or modification of existing). Without access to the database, you cannot run DMS (import/export/update/delete...).

Nicolas.
  • 4. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    961240 Newbie
    Hi

What do you mean by I cannot run sql? But in client PT8.52 there isn't a folder call scripts that I need to run the sql.
  • 5. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    Soundappan Journeyer
    If you are access PeopleSoft via a web URL, Oracle client installation is not required.
  • 6. Re: Why is Oracle Client needed?
    Marcus Tavares Newbie
    Go ahead and read the entire Peopletools installation guide for Oracle. When you read it, you may have a clue about Peoplesoft architecture.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points