This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 10:06 PM by 942281 RSS

Getting error 'could not locate ASM instance' when make copy of ASM VM

942281 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

I make virtual machine of OEL 5.7 with oracle 10.2.0.1 and successfully configured ASM instance. I am using vmware workstation.

Now when I make copy of this virtual machine and startup database, then I get the below error:

[oracle@oelinux ~]$ export ORACLE_SID=asmdb
[oracle@oelinux ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sat Sep 29 01:10:26 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
ORA-01565: error in identifying file '+ASMGROUP/asmdb/spfileasmdb.ora'
*ORA-17503: ksfdopn:2 Failed to open file +ASMGROUP/asmdb/spfileasmdb.ora*
ORA-15077: could not locate ASM instance serving a required diskgroup

So how can i solve this problem??

Note: I copy this VM using both copy/paste and clone option, but get this error both times.

Regards,
Khurram Bhatti
  • 1. Re: Getting error 'could not locate ASM instance' when make copy of ASM VM
    EdStevens Guru
    Khurram Shehzad wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I make virtual machine of OEL 5.7 with oracle 10.2.0.1 and successfully configured ASM instance. I am using vmware workstation.

Now when I make copy of this virtual machine and startup database, then I get the below error:

[oracle@oelinux ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Sat Sep 29 01:10:26 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> startup
    ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
    ORA-01565: error in identifying file '+ASMGROUP/asmdb/spfileasmdb.ora'
    *ORA-17503: ksfdopn:2 Failed to open file +ASMGROUP/asmdb/spfileasmdb.ora*
    ORA-15077: could not locate ASM instance serving a required diskgroup

So how can i solve this problem??

Note: I copy this VM using both copy/paste and clone option, but get this error both times.

Regards,
    Khurram Bhatti
    How did you create and configure the disks for ASM?
  • 2. Re: Getting error 'could not locate ASM instance' when make copy of ASM VM
    942281 Newbie
    I add 3 SCSI vmware disks. and then use them as a raw device. no ASMLib is used.

I refer below tutorial
    [http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/asm-using-asmlib-and-raw-devices.php]
  • 3. Re: Getting error 'could not locate ASM instance' when make copy of ASM VM
    EdStevens Guru
    Khurram Shehzad wrote:
    I add 3 SCSI vmware disks. and then use them as a raw device. no ASMLib is used.

I refer below tutorial
    That tutorial picks up after you created the disks.

How did you create the virtual disks attatched to your vm? What are its properties - from VMWorksation's perspective.
    How did you create the "copy" of the vm?

It depends on how you actually created the disks, at the vm level, not the partitioning and formatting at the vm's OS level. I've used Tim's tutorials myself on some other ASM related projects, and he typically has you create the ASM disks as 'sharable', which would mean they would not copy necessarily copy with the vm. I've not played around the with variants much, but I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is a result of either the way the disk was created in the original vm, or the way you made the copy of the vm, or both.

Take a look at the machine properties of the two vms in the VMWorkstation control panel, looking at the HDD definitions. Compare and contrast.
  • 4. Re: Getting error 'could not locate ASM instance' when make copy of ASM VM
    942281 Newbie
    EdStevens wrote:
    Khurram Shehzad wrote:

I refer below tutorial
    That tutorial picks up after you created the disks.

How did you create the virtual disks attatched to your vm? What are its properties - from VMWorksation's perspective.
    How did you create the "copy" of the vm?

It depends on how you actually created the disks, at the vm level, not the partitioning and formatting at the vm's OS level. I've used Tim's tutorials myself on some other ASM related projects, and he typically has you create the ASM disks as 'sharable', which would mean they would not copy necessarily copy with the vm. I've not played around the with variants much, but I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is a result of either the way the disk was created in the original vm, or the way you made the copy of the vm, or both.

Take a look at the machine properties of the two vms in the VMWorkstation control panel, looking at the HDD definitions. Compare and contrast.
    Hi EdStevens,

My problem resolved with below steps. Thanks fro your replies.

export ORACLE_SID=+ASM
    sqlplus sys as sysdba
    SQL> startup mount
    SQL> alter system register;
    SQL> exit

[oracle@oelinux ~]$ sqlplus sys as sysdba
    SQL> startup
    ORACLE instance started.

Regards,