This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 8:58 AM by 9a143e0c-b8b4-413a-bd4f-89d69ef87199 RSS

what is the difference between "fully certified" platform & "database tier

960341 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
what is the difference between "fully certified" platform & "database tier only" platform ? How to identify what I'm using.
I'm referring to page 3-9 of the 12.1.1 upgrade guide.
2. Install JRE on the database tier to ensure that the application tier and the
database tier match:
• If you are using a "fully certified" platform, refer to My Oracle Support (Doc
ID: 418664.1) to install JRE under the <RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil
directory.
• If you are using a "database tier only" platform, refer to My Oracle Support
(Doc ID: 456197.1) to install JRE under the
<RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME>/appsutil directory.
How do I identify what platform i'm using & is this a mandatory step ?

Note : I'm upgrading from 11.5.10.2 (DB : 11.1.0.7) to EBS 12.1.3
  • 1. Re: what is the difference between "fully certified" platform & "database tier
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Your R11 apps tier can run x86 but cant x86-64 bit, but your db tier can work both. So your apps tier can work on 32 bit same time db can run 64 bit.

Regard
    Helios
  • 2. Re: what is the difference between "fully certified" platform & "database tier
    960341 Newbie
    Helios- Gunes EROL wrote:
    Hi;

Your R11 apps tier can run x86 but cant x86-64 bit, but your db tier can work both. So your apps tier can work on 32 bit same time db can run 64 bit.

Regard
    Helios
    Hi Helios,

I'm still confused. I'm upgrading from 11.5.10.2 ( DB 11.1.0.7) to 12.1.3 (same DB version).

Now one of the steps in the upgrade guide asks me to Install JRE on the database tier to ensure that the application tier and database tier match.

I would like to understand if this step applies to me ? If yes, Do I refer the note for "fully certified" platform OR shall I refer the note for " Database tier only" platform.

Regards,
  • 3. Re: what is the difference between "fully certified" platform & "database tier
    9a143e0c-b8b4-413a-bd4f-89d69ef87199 Newbie

When you install Oracle EBS R12 you have 2 choices of installation in terms of platform type namely 32bit and 64bit for most operating system flavours, but certain operating systems like MS-Windows do not yet have 64-bit version of Oracle EBS released by Oracle so you are forced to install Oracle EBS 32bit version on windows server which means your Applications and DB tier both runs on 32bit code, the disadvantage with such installation is that it can't exceed memory page size larger than 4GB hence it can't take advantage of memory larger than 4GB installed on the server.

Fortunately since EBS R12 uses Oracle Database and it has 64bit version available you can simply move the database to 64bit on different server and take advantage of 64bit memory architecture atleast on the DB side, this is called mixed platform environment as referred to it by page 3-9 of the 12.1.1 upgrade guide.

So most of the users will probably end up following the "fully certified" path to implement java on database.

Regards,

Sayeed Salahuddin

sayeed.shaikh@gmail.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points